Avoc

Glorified

Forum Lieutenant
Just finished my AVOC training yesterday. We finished in one day instead of 2. I had never driven an ambulance or any large vehicle (bigger than a jeep) before. Using those mirrors is a lot harder than it looks. I am amazed people were allowed to drive an ambulance in the past without this training. I am sure you can pick it up as you go, but those first few calls without experience could be dangerous. As of january 1, 2007 all ambulance operators regardless if they are driving must have AVOC training here in Maine.

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Just finished my AVOC training yesterday. We finished in one day instead of 2. I had never driven an ambulance or any large vehicle (bigger than a jeep) before. Using those mirrors is a lot harder than it looks. I am amazed people were allowed to drive an ambulance in the past without this training. I am sure you can pick it up as you go, but those first few calls without experience could be dangerous. As of january 1, 2007 all ambulance operators regardless if they are driving must have AVOC training here in Maine.

I have never heard of AVOC. I have had EVOC several times over the years. What does the "A" stand for?

OP
OP
G

Glorified

Forum Lieutenant
It's basically the same thing only A stands for ambulance instead of emergency. I guess Maine calls it AVOC.

Alexakat

Forum Lieutenant
I just took EVOC too...I really enjoyed it!

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Some places call it CEVO.

Anomalous

Forum Lieutenant
CEVO is not EVOC for sure. CEVO is a video and workbook based course. I think an agency may add some driving to it (CEVO) but it isn't a part of that course. :)

Isn't CEVO, 'COACHING' the Emergency Vehicle Operator? I assume that the 'coaching' part would imply talking about it instead of doing it??

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I recall taking "CEVOS" training, tho I have never been aware of what the "S" stands for. Perhaps it is simply CEVO. I know our training was a video, workbook, test, 3 months of "supervised" driving and then a road test to "clear" us.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I drove an ambulance for six months before I took the EVOC course. That's one of the things I would have changed if I ran the company. :)

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
We do EVAP Emergency Vehicle Accident Prevention. It's an all day classroom course, with a workbook and test to complete followed by a second all day driving test. We have to be tested on each rig we are going to drive before we can get behind the wheel of that rig.

How does a company's insurance provider react to untrained, untested drivers using company vehicles?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Actually EVOC was designed and promoted by insurance companies. Our insurance requires that our drivers attend a EVOC course within one year of employment to allow discounted rates.

R/r 911

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
We do EVAP Emergency Vehicle Accident Prevention. It's an all day classroom course, with a workbook and test to complete followed by a second all day driving test. We have to be tested on each rig we are going to drive before we can get behind the wheel of that rig.

How does a company's insurance provider react to untrained, untested drivers using company vehicles?

Our insurance company doesn't let people under 21 and who haven't gone through CEVOS to even touch the steering wheel. Good policy, IMO.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
The service I worked for would allow anyone over the age of 18 to drive any of the rigs. No EVOC training was required, though I'm guessing they got a discount on the insurance if they offered it. I can tell you that they only had the course every two years or so. It didn't make any sense to me.

Canoeman

Forum Crew Member
Cevo

The CEVO II class sanctioned by the National Safety Council has a rather complicated road course- backing, obsticles, and parking portion to it. I have taken both EVOC and CEVO - they are very similar. If you didn't get the road portion I do not know why.

Canoeman