Australian Fire Fighters?

DigDugDude

Forum Crew Member
Do the Firefighters in Australia do any of the EMS work? Or do they only do fire? are they at the least basic trained? Just curious since research has made it very clear australian Paramedic 3's are basically mobile doctors i was just curious what the fire fighters do in a non fire incident? or a fire incident with injuries if they are on scene first?

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
Do the Firefighters in Australia do any of the EMS work? Or do they only do fire? are they at the least basic trained? Just curious since research has made it very clear australian Paramedic 3's are basically mobile doctors i was just curious what the fire fighters do in a non fire incident? or a fire incident with injuries if they are on scene first?

Each State has a Fire Rescue service as well as volunteer/country services lkike the CFA etc. As far as I am aware, non are EMS trained. They do have basic first aid, CPR, oxygen and some even AEDS i think.

We are sent to standby at all fire where the Firefighters are wearing Breathing Apparatus. We go lights and sirens to the scene if there is suspicion of trapped individuals etc.

I dont know what you mean about the Paramedic 3s here being doctors. We have intensive care paramedics which are P4 in my state. They have virtually the same scopes as many US paramedics. Our P3 (ACP) is somewhere between your EMT-I and EMT-P. We don't tube, push dopamine, anti arrhythmics etc