Australia recruiting international paramedics

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
From what I've read on this forum, this service is supposed to pay well, and have excellent benefits/working conditions. I'd look into why they need to hire from foreign countries. Is there some factor that's creating turnover? Or is there simply a shortage of paramedics over there?

What are their educational requirements?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I would love to move to and work in Australia...

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
This might not be a bad idea - I love to surf, I've got NR-P and six years medic experience so I'm recognized as equivalent, and Australia could be a safe haven if and when we experience hyperinflation and this country goes down the tubes. Their EMS is also not effed up like our joke system, nationally speaking.

The above is not as tongue-in-cheek as it appears to be. I would really consider the move if this country continues on it's path to financial ruin.

McGoo

Forum Crew Member
Ha, this is who I work for. The reason for international recruiting is that we are expanding massively at the moment, and are in short supply of paramedics. 15 years ago maybe 10 or 15 people would get trained every year. Now there are two groups of 100 rookies every year, plus however many get recruited from interstate or overseas.

I just found out how different Australia and US EMS systems are. We work essentially independently, if we see something that needs treating, we treat it. No online control, no checking with the doctor. We can call up in exceptional circumstances, but I've only done it once in 18 months.

InsidiousStealth

Forum Crew Member
Ha, this is who I work for. The reason for international recruiting is that we are expanding massively at the moment, and are in short supply of paramedics. 15 years ago maybe 10 or 15 people would get trained every year. Now there are two groups of 100 rookies every year, plus however many get recruited from interstate or overseas.

I just found out how different Australia and US EMS systems are. We work essentially independently, if we see something that needs treating, we treat it. No online control, no checking with the doctor. We can call up in exceptional circumstances, but I've only done it once in 18 months.

do you think in say 4 or 5 years they will still look for people? I will have my EMT-A certification here in canada in about a week or so but hoping to do paramedic the following year here, unless they pay for it down there if you're an EMT-A??

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I don't meet the prereqs. :[ 2 years experience as an EMT-P or EMT-I, EMT-I may require more experience based on their local practice.

McGoo

Forum Crew Member
do you think in say 4 or 5 years they will still look for people? I will have my EMT-A certification here in canada in about a week or so but hoping to do paramedic the following year here, unless they pay for it down there if you're an EMT-A??

I think it's a safe bet that we will still be recruiting then. It's been going on for a few years now, and I don't see it stopping anytime soon.

I'm not familiar with EMT-A, but we have paramedic and ambulance officer. Ambulance officer is simply paramedic in training. Paramedic scope is slightly less than Albertas EMT-P, but we have more training behind it (bachelor of science degree). We don't do catheters, or rectal anything, but we should have the rest soon.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
This might not be a bad idea - I love to surf, I've got NR-P and six years medic experience so I'm recognized as equivalent, and Australia could be a safe haven if and when we experience hyperinflation and this country goes down the tubes. Their EMS is also not effed up like our joke system, nationally speaking.

The above is not as tongue-in-cheek as it appears to be. I would really consider the move if this country continues on it's path to financial ruin.

All you need is a police interceptor with a blower a sawed off shotgun and a black leather outfit and you're set.

InsidiousStealth

Forum Crew Member
I think it's a safe bet that we will still be recruiting then. It's been going on for a few years now, and I don't see it stopping anytime soon.

I'm not familiar with EMT-A, but we have paramedic and ambulance officer. Ambulance officer is simply paramedic in training. Paramedic scope is slightly less than Albertas EMT-P, but we have more training behind it (bachelor of science degree). We don't do catheters, or rectal anything, but we should have the rest soon.

Thanks for the response friend,

Do you think they would consider me if I worked at an ambulance service as an EMR for a year and just getting my EMT now?

nswAU

Forum Probie
Thanks for the response friend,

Do you think they would consider me if I worked at an ambulance service as an EMR for a year and just getting my EMT now?

Remember our systems here are near exclusive paramedic. So anything less than a EMT-I with much experience wouldn't be considered, I'd think. Our Ambulance systems are very different from the US. it's near complete "offline" I.e w/o med control, I'm guessing youd have to be quite confident, that is not be Someone rellying on control For orders. :)

InsidiousStealth

Forum Crew Member
Remember our systems here are near exclusive paramedic. So anything less than a EMT-I with much experience wouldn't be considered, I'd think. Our Ambulance systems are very different from the US. it's near complete "offline" I.e w/o med control, I'm guessing youd have to be quite confident, that is not be Someone rellying on control For orders. :)

I'm from Canada though but I hear what you're saying.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
My question is what exactly does "Paramedic" mean? ILS? ALS? Is it dependent on your experience and demonstration of knowledge upon hire?

I'm a long way off from ever being able to make something like this happen but as McGoo said, this recruitment could go on for a while.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Landcruiser ambulance? They're pretty ugly, just sayin' haha

Oh no not the ambulance. I want a 70 series or 105 series diesel wagon with a Kimberly Kamper to pull behind it.

I could so do Australia, but in reality we are too committed and deep into careers here to make that drastic a move.

McGoo

Forum Crew Member
My question is what exactly does "Paramedic" mean? ILS? ALS? Is it dependent on your experience and demonstration of knowledge upon hire?

I'm a long way off from ever being able to make something like this happen but as McGoo said, this recruitment could go on for a while.

For us, a paramedic means a qualified person who has completed the degree and three years on road training, as we work full time from second year of uni onwards and study full time. Paramedics can intubate, cryc, do 12 leads (coming), chest decompression, bone gun, we have about thirty drugs available, plus all your normal medic skills. EMT-P would be closest I think.

As for EMR experience, it's a plus, but it's a long way from our paramedic role. It would get you through the door, but you would probably have to start at the bottom. Unfortunately we only sponsor international people who can work as paramedic already, or close to it. EMT-I might get you over the line, EMT-P would be a sure thing I think.

Have a look at the website in the first post as there are links to pages with skill sets and what is required for recruitment.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Mcgoo do you guys use ICP Paramedics or does that level not exists in your agency? The Paramedic stuff seems to vary in different parts of Australia?

The desert is kind of getting boring. I just started another international contract near Dubai but a change of scenery might be nice once this contract ends.

McGoo

Forum Crew Member
Mcgoo do you guys use ICP Paramedics or does that level not exists in your agency? The Paramedic stuff seems to vary in different parts of Australia?

The desert is kind of getting boring. I just started another international contract near Dubai but a change of scenery might be nice once this contract ends.

Technically we don't have ICP, but we do have crit care medics on the helicopter, so sort of yes. There are only ten or so guys who rotate through the chopper, and it takes a long time to get there. You need to do a masters or postgrad in paramedicine to apply for that role.

Our standard paramedic is a lot closer to what other states call ICP or CCP or MICA than their standard paramedic, however, so it isn't a clear cut thing. work here is very non-stressful, not much trauma by US standards, mostly nana retrieval and UTI response squad work for the most part. It is a great place to live, however, especially for bringing up kids. Plus the salary is not too shabby.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere