Austin-Travis EMS/Outside Texas applicant

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
I never said anyone is putting a gun to my head. It's still insulting, civil service or not. Like others have said there's other agencies that have just as much room to grow career-wise and salary-wise.

As I have said a million times I can understand that. They are not the first big agency to adopt this, and I doubt they will be the last.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Could I work as a PT medic in another department, while working as a FT Medic 1 in ATCEMS?

Chewy, I know they have you sign a contract that does not allow you to talk about the testing process. Would you be able to share how you prepared for all phases of the exam?

You can not work for another EMS agency as it is conflict of interest. You can apply to work PT but it would have to be approved by the Chief.

As far as the test goes, I am not going to say anything about it to be on the safe side. The website details the process pretty well.

Mellowdnb

Forum Probie
I wouldn't say services are doing it to insult Paramedics. I heard from a Medic in ATCEMS they decided to do it to get everyone on the same page. It sucks when a Paramedic walks into a service and pulls the rank card along with the "This is the way I was taught and I have always done it, so that is the way it must always be done" attitude.

Chewy,

How is moral at ATCEMS? I did a ride along a few years ago with them and I loved it. It appeared, at that time, they had some very dedicated and compassionate medics.

Is there a high turnover rate? If so, why do you think that is?

How long does the probationary period last?

Can the Medic 1 apply for special ops position? (Water rescue, trench/confined space rescue)?

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
I wouldn't say services are doing it to insult Paramedics. I heard from a Medic in ATCEMS they decided to do it to get everyone on the same page. It sucks when a Paramedic walks into a service and pulls the rank card along with the "This is the way I was taught and I have always done it, so that is the way it must always be done" attitude.

Chewy,

How is moral at ATCEMS? I did a ride along a few years ago with them and I loved it. It appeared, at that time, they had some very dedicated and compassionate medics.

Is there a high turnover rate? If so, why do you think that is?

How long does the probationary period last?

Can the Medic 1 apply for special ops position? (Water rescue, trench/confined space rescue)?

From what I have seen so far the moral is awesome and everyone I have met it proud to wear the patch. I am not sure of the turnover rate, but I cant imagine its to high. They want you to make a career here, even if its not on the truck their are plenty of other opportunities. You are on probation for 12 months per civil service. All special ops including tactical and motorcycle medics are for Medic 2's for now.

brian328

Forum Crew Member
i work for austin ems. if you have any questions feel free to ask. i will answer what i can and tell you if i can't.

edit: i am not on here a whole lot, but i'll try and get on here a little more.

Last edited:

MedicSansBrains

If it's the PC police then I'm not home.. got it?
I'm finishing my EMT-Basic at ACC right now. I'll be certified before the next hiring process at the beginning of 2015.

I'm doing well in my class and study everyday. I've gotten in to the paramedic program to start next semester and I'm pretty excited.

What are the chances that I would be hired at ATCEMS right out of basic? I don't have any relevant formal medical experience. I studied and worked in business before switching gears into EMS.

Also, would I be able to attend paramedic school while working as a full time Medic I with ATCEMS?

Thanks y'all!

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm finishing my EMT-Basic at ACC right now. I'll be certified before the next hiring process at the beginning of 2015.

I'm doing well in my class and study everyday. I've gotten in to the paramedic program to start next semester and I'm pretty excited.

What are the chances that I would be hired at ATCEMS right out of basic? I don't have any relevant formal medical experience. I studied and worked in business before switching gears into EMS.

Also, would I be able to attend paramedic school while working as a full time Medic I with ATCEMS?

Thanks y'all!

As long as you make it through the hiring process is doesn't matter if you are a basic or not.

Also, ACC's paramedic program has or is switching and will no longer be able to do their rideouts with ATCEMS causing a big hiccup for people trying to get their cert with ACC. I do not know all the details, but before you commit to anything call recruiters from both ACC and ATCEMS. If you were to make it to the academy I am pretty sure you can have no other commitments for the 6 weeks of academy.

If you make it all the way through and graduate you will be working 2 or 3 days a week, they encourage you to go to school, and will help pay for it.

MedicSansBrains

If it's the PC police then I'm not home.. got it?
As long as you make it through the hiring process is doesn't matter if you are a basic or not.

Also, ACC's paramedic program has or is switching and will no longer be able to do their rideouts with ATCEMS causing a big hiccup for people trying to get their cert with ACC. I do not know all the details, but before you commit to anything call recruiters from both ACC and ATCEMS. If you were to make it to the academy I am pretty sure you can have no other commitments for the 6 weeks of academy.

If you make it all the way through and graduate you will be working 2 or 3 days a week, they encourage you to go to school, and will help pay for it.

Thanks a bunch. That's a little disconcerting about the clinicals with ATCEMS. I couldn't imagine what would cause that? Most of my professors are either retired or current ATCEMS so I would hope they could figure it out.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Thanks a bunch. That's a little disconcerting about the clinicals with ATCEMS. I couldn't imagine what would cause that? Most of my professors are either retired or current ATCEMS so I would hope they could figure it out.

Not too crazy big of a deal. WilCo is right next door. At EMTS most of my instructors were ATCEMS, but one was WilCo. Did clinicals with WilCo. One of the medics in the ED I am at works with WilCo and ACC too. So its out there.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Will this hiring process be back open anytime soon?

Hard to say. They just closed the recent process and the academy starts in January. I think that will put them at their desired ratio for Medic 2's with Medic 1's. Just have to check the site once in a while.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief

Yeah, like I said I am not sure on all the details. The question came up during the academy and the answer that was given made it seem that ACC was making everything more difficult. One of those being that they are taking away the summer semester so it makes it that much longer.