Atypical Vasovagal Syncope

Handsome Rob

Forum Crew Member
"Hypothetical" here. Patient as follows:

25 y/o female of Jewish and African American descent (ethnic genetic causes possibly?), extremely fit, NKDA, no prior known health complications.

Sitting in the passenger seat of a "car", patient states "oh sh*t" and hunches over, eyes open, but non-responsive to verbal stimuli. Upon palpation, the patient has muscle "tone", rigidity to the upper extremities and gasping respirations at 12-14. The patient remains in this state for 2 minutes or less. Upon arrival to the ED, the patient is carried into the ER and placed in a wheelchair. Once settled in the chair, the patient regains conciousness and declares that it happened again after being momentarily confused as to her surroundings. The patient is A&Ox4 within a minute and refuses medical care based on a history of atypical vasovagal syncope. For the next few hours the patient experiences nausea and weakness, but continues to deny medical intervention or evaluation.

My question is this: based on the "oh sh*t" remark and the nausea that followed I would be thinking seizure, however I cannot align all of the symptoms. Where do I start looking? I have found minimal info on atypical syncope (some sytptoms align, other disqualify)

Kinda hits close to home and need some guidance here...

Unfortunately, this is all the info I can get right now (was not there, getting this from the person who was).

Last edited by a moderator:

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
It's not unusual for vasovagal episodes to present with a brief tonic phase. In fact, probably 50% of witnessed vasovagal episodes I run are mistaken for seizures by those without (and some with) medical training. The easiest way to distingush is lack of a typical post-ictal phase (brief confusion doesn't really count).

2 minutes is kinda long for the tonic phase, is the bystander 100% sure it was this long?

OP
OP
Handsome Rob

Handsome Rob

Forum Crew Member
No he isn't. He was unable to give an exact time. I am under the impression that she regained conciousness and had a very short period of confusion lasting only seconds which would not be considered posttictal...

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
No he isn't. He was unable to give an exact time. I am under the impression that she regained conciousness and had a very short period of confusion lasting only seconds which would not be considered posttictal...

Sounds VERY much like a syncopal episode. He really shouldn't be driving until that gets explained though...

George4

Forum Probie
In a sitting position, one wouldn't quickly regain consciousness as most do when they hit the ground after a vasovagal syncopal. Syncope is nature's way of putting your body into a position for easy reperfusion of the brain. And I guess if one is sitting down, the reperfusion would take a bit longer, with a slightly delayed period of confusion. Doesn't explain the muscle rigidity tho... That's a tricky one.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Diagnose and assess, treat to match.

An "upper body seizure" sounds fishy, but they could still be sick. Vasovagals usually "do the funky chicken" as they come out of it without a true postictal.
Any unexplained syncope at the wheel or sitting down ought to be reported to the DMV.