Attention Texas EMT-I's.......

emtwannabe

Forum Lieutenant
I am currently formulating a plan to move back out to the Lone Star State....I am thinking of specifically the Houston area, as that is where She Who Must Be Obeyed is from. I need some info as to reciprocity, some possible job leads, etc.....Any info will be welcome and appreciated!!!!

Thanks!!
Jeff

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Here's the best place to start..................

http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/emstraumasystems/CertInfo.shtm

This will provide you with what is required to practice in the Lone Star state. As far as jobs go, there are over 100 private transfer companies to choose from. Most pay well and getting hired on is a joke with most. So worst case scenerio, you make some money working for a crap service temporarily. Now if you truly want to step out and get into the 911 world, here's a few places to start.................

Montgomery County Hospital District
www.mchd-tx.org

All MICU 911 service covering 1,100 square miles. 20 Units up 24 hours a day with several peak trucks. Pay is excellent for the area, benefits are top notch. Good protocols, medical director also provides direction for PHI Air Medical.

Cypress Creek EMS
www.ccems.com

All MICU, 911 only (NO TRANSFERS!) service. Covers the largest EMS ESD in Texas. Currently runs 8 24 hour trucks and 3-5 peak trucks (9th 24 hour truck coming online after the 1st of the year). Pay isn't bad, schedule is 24 on - 72 off. Benefits are good, CE's are provided, in house Paramedic school is available. Protocols are top notch, medical director is very involved (even has his own squad car and routinely runs calls). A lot of cutting edge research is going on there.

Harris County ESD-1
www.hcesd-1.org

All MICU 911 service (do you see a trend yet??) UHHHH how do I put this politically correct. They have a very diverse demographic population. Definately an interesting environment, plan on running your *** off! Pay is pretty good, although they do have a lot of change occurring right now. May not be the most stable place of employment in the future, but definately worth checking out.

Ft. Bend County EMS
http://www.co.fort-bend.tx.us/getSitePage.asp?sitePage=5551

Don't know a lot about them these days, but have heard they are still top notch. There used to be a member on here that worked for them, I'll try to get you more info...................

Feel free to PM me if you have any ?'s

Last edited by a moderator:

MayEMT

Forum Crew Member
Wow

thanks flight-lp!

i know i wasnt the one asking for the info but this is great stuff. Thanks :D