Attending with Lights on (at night)

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Hi All,

It's been a while since I've posted as I've been super busy, but I'm back for a bit with a questions for all.

I recently started working for an IFT company in LA and there has been some instances where we get some late night calls and its needed to use the lights in back for assessing the patient. In the county I reside in, always uses light on while transporting, but is it always necessary?

So.....

Is it appropriate to just click the lights on in back an leave them on for the duration of the transport? or is it better to click them off so the patient can rest? is it better for the driver? What about HIPAA? Also, what about the use of a reading light/flashlight?

JPINFV

Gadfly
HIPAA isn't an issue.

Most patients aren't going to want or need to "rest" during transport, especially depending on the length of the transport.

Depending on the ambulance, you'll have options for which and how many lights are on in back.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
For me, it's really simple, I use as much light as I need to get the job done. If that means that I turn off the white lights and use a blue or red light, then I'll do that. If I need to turn on all the interior lights, then I'll do that. Whenever I'm in the back with a patient at night, I always will have a light on at all times. No patient? No need for a light back there...

Sasha

Forum Chief
I need the light to write my report. I'll dim them in the back but my handwriting isn't spectacular by itself. Add a moving truck in the dark its kind of crappy.

Privacy really something that can be helped unless you're gonna cover them head to toe with a sheet the minute you leave the scene til you get them in their room.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
The lights are always on in the back during the night, though often dimmed. I can't remember a time anyone with the company transported with the lights off. Even if you're doing an IFT, how would you assess a patient with the lights off?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
If there's a patient in the back, the fluorescents are on. The only exception is if the patient is photosensitive.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
As far as HIPAA is concerned, it has nothing to do with it. Still not comfortable? Look up 'incidental exposures'.

Personally during the day if it's light enough out I turn off some of the lights just because it's more comfortable lighting, not due to the patient sleeping.

During a 911 call / short distance transport the patient doesn't need to be sleeping anyhow.

JPINFV

Gadfly
The lights are always on in the back during the night, though often dimmed. I can't remember a time anyone with the company transported with the lights off. Even if you're doing an IFT, how would you assess a patient with the lights off?

One time I just had the counter light on. This was a hospital to hospital transport, by patient request, and following assessment. The light gave me enough light to keep an eye on the patient.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
One time I just had the counter light on. This was a hospital to hospital transport, by patient request, and following assessment. The light gave me enough light to keep an eye on the patient.
I've never transported at night with the lights off. I do, however, use dimmer lighting options when possible if my patient wants to rest. I won't, however, start off with dim lighting. I put it on full bright to assess, get things situated, and the like. I pretty much also explain to the patient that I may have to use full lighting at times, but I'll warn first before turning them all on. Then I begin to adjust lighting to what's comfortable for the patient and is what I need for monitoring the patient. Sometimes that means moving equipment around... Of course, having equipment that could be positioned almost anywhere was a bonus. :)

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients

I usually get all my work done, IV, meds, etc, then just leave the counter light on. This is how we worked in the hospital, too. The main ER we transport to keeps its lights dimmed at night too.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I turn the interior lights on when I get out of the truck so it's easier to load the patient/climb in. Once I've finished my assessment I usually just ask the patient if they want lights out. If they do, the counter light is bright enough for writing the PCR.

Sent from my out of area communications device.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
As much light as you need for job and safety.

It will be inexcusable to miss something because you were "trying to let the pt rest".
(gavel)"BAM, fifty years"...

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
It will be inexcusable to miss something because you were "trying to let the pt rest".
(gavel)"BAM, fifty years"...

Let's be realistic, assuming you do a GOOD assessment and continually monitor the patient how likely are you to "miss" something because the lights are dimmed? Most of the time if your surprised by a patient deterioration you overlooked something anyway.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I transported all of my IFT 5150's to the psych facility with the lights off when I worked nights. This allowed them to stay asleep the whole time making it safer for me and them.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I transported all of my IFT 5150's to the psych facility with the lights off when I worked nights. This allowed them to stay asleep the whole time making it safer for me and them.

I would NEVER EVER make it to where I couldn't clearly see a psych patient. They are tricksy little :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:s.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I would NEVER EVER make it to where I couldn't clearly see a psych patient. They are tricksy little :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:s.

Policy required all 5150's to be restrained to the side of the gurney and from the captains chair, I could see both restraints and hand at all times. So all good :)

mycrofft

Leaking IV, and, yes, missed eval points...

Like posterior incision or stab that clapped shut and didn't start bleeding until the Ringer's stated in.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
There's a difference between the unstable/potentially unstable patient and taking grandma back to the SNF after being discharged from the ED.

mycrofft

Ok

Point taken, a judgment call.

firecoins

IFT Puppet