At a jobs crossroads and just dont know what to do

DigDugDude

Forum Crew Member
So i have all the pre-reqs done to get into an associates degree Paramedics program at the local college AND all the pre-reqs for an associates degree Nursing program.

Im already licensed as a CNA and an EMT. Currently working as a CNA in a hospital since im making 14.50 an hour whereas where i live EMT's only make 9-10/hour and paramedics NOT working for the fire department make 12-14.

I REALLY WANT to work out in the field in EMS but the pay just isnt there if your not working for the FD. And where i live the FD has a list of well over 1,000 names and a 7 year wait once on it. My instructor from my EMT class had already been on the list for 3 years and still has 300+ people in front of him. =/

Granted IF a FD job can get secured they make 55k a year starting and get all the AWESOME calls.

Where im at is I dont want to be a nurse. Bedside care just isnt enough action and excitment for me. But the pay is definitely there. Theres also the fact that my job will pay in full my nursing school in exchange for a 2 year contract with the hospital after graduation. If i HAD to be a nurse i think the unit i would like most is ED. I get floated down there as an EMT pretty regularly and thats fun but not like working on a FD rig. OH and paramedics in the ED at my hospital only make about 16/hr.

so yah im at a loss. I just dont know what to do. or maybe i do and dont want to do it?

go to paramedics school and get the training for what i want to do but very likely have a hard time or a LONG wait for a job i really want and not make much money while waiting. Oh and pay for the schooling out of pocket (which job will reimburse later but only to a certain cap. comes out to about 70% of total)

OR

go to nursing school get the schooling paid for in full in exchange for a 2 year contract with the hospital (that i really enjoy working at) and try to get an ED position.

I dunno sorry for the ramble guys im just confused and advisors at school are not being much help. wanted to get the opinions of fellow EMS brothers.

Thanks guys

DigDugDude

Last edited by a moderator:

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I'd go for nursing. In some places, RNs can take some sort of RN-to-Paramedic course and get their paramedic too for a lot cheaper and faster than what a Paramedic-to-RN course can if it exist/is accepted in the area. As an RN, you can still work in an ambulance as a CCTRN usually after >3 years of ICU experience. I think flight nurses are more widely used than flight medics, but I cannot say for sure if that's a fact.

OP
OP
D

DigDugDude

Forum Crew Member
yah i thought about critical care nursing but....

though they ride in a rig its mainly only for transport of super fragile patients from what ive seen. I dont know it sucks that EMS is just so under paid if your not working for the state.

i mean im sure with OT some people can take care of their family with the paramedic pay but i dont wanna get by i need make enough to support and pay for my future children later down the line.

I may just go for the nursing first then do the medics after and while working as a nurse get on a FD list an just wait around till something comes up?

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Sounds like a lame plan to be honest, lol, but I guess if that's what you want to do, that's what you want to do.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
You will get bored in EMS. The reality is it is basically bedside care, just in a different setting. Even the "AWESOME" calls boil down to medical care. If your going to be bored providing medical care it's best to find a different career field.

OP
OP
D

DigDugDude

Forum Crew Member
at least with an ED or with FD

the patients and circumstances change. critical thinking and order of how things should be done is constantly changing on a patient by patient basis.

i guess when i say bedside im really referring to the med surg unit i work on. its all stable patients never any crashes or codes no monitoring all the nurses do is give pills and the occasional enima. just not something i can see myself doing long term.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
the patients and circumstances change. critical thinking and order of how things should be done is constantly changing on a patient by patient basis.

i guess when i say bedside im really referring to the med surg unit i work on. its all stable patients never any crashes or codes no monitoring all the nurses do is give pills and the occasional enima. just not something i can see myself doing long term.

Go shadow an RN in a high acuity ICU for a day then see if you feel the same way.

OP
OP
D

DigDugDude

Forum Crew Member
ive worked icu

All unstable patients with occasional crashes but usually DNR.

Like I said if I went nursing ED would be the only unit I would want to work on.

Thanks for the responses so far guys!

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
The idea of being cooped up in a hospital all day does not appeal to me at all. In fact it makes me cringe.
The one suggestion was to get both your RN and your P. That is not a bad idea if you want to go into HEMS and stay in EMS. Also the pay would be a lot better than just a private agency. Problem is most HEMS places require several years of ALS experience first, among other things.

How important is being a Paramedic to you and how important is making lots of money? If you want to make lots of money EMS is not the best field to do it. However it is not to say its not possible, but your going to have to be willing to relocate and make some sacrifices I have found.

There are ways to make more money than a RN as Paramedic out there. You just have to look, be flexible and be willing to relocate. I have been expatting in the middle east for a couple years now as a Paramedic. I make more than the new M.D.'s I know in the EU and GCC. If contracting in the middle east is not for you there is always government agency's and also fire departments like you said. Also Australia is having a big shortage of medics right now and there pay is about twice what it is the states. IMO to many people get stuck in the area there from and settle for less. Also if you relocate to most other modern western country's the medics pay is more on par with RN's and often above it.

That Degree and your National Registry will open up a lot of doors for you. Trust me

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
RN definitely. MUCH wider range of employment opportunities, over a larger geographic range, and longer through your life. I delayed settling down due to impatience and financial recession (1975) and it took me seven years to get on track with something I could do the rest of my life. Do you want to go into something you will most likely need to leave and start your work life over, or a profession where you can grow and diversify through the rest of your working life? And lost some years you could have spent acquiring seniority, training, money, and relationships/networking?

I have worked for a total of six months at bedside nursing since I licensed in 1983, and half of that was backfilling at an active duty hospital during DESERT STORM. The rest I have worked in an ER, a doc in a box (both very instructive), as a correctional health nurse and as a medical case manager.

A hint: most nurses don't like emergency stuff for long and don't have creds. If you can excel and keep making your preferences known, AND keep looking out for better positions (make as many connections as you can for that), you may be able to find the slot you desire.

Or go into something else entirely. EMS can be a hobby and just one more set of talents in your "professional toolbox".

OP
OP
D

DigDugDude

Forum Crew Member
thanks

Thanks shulz and myc it does seem like rn first is the way to go I will likely still get my paramedics too since its only 3 semesters. It will be good having both skill sets. Really appreciate the input!