arrest no conviction

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Whoops, good point. It was detaining. Never had my rights read.

And you're not required to have your rights read to you until you see the judge, or if the officer plans on doing a custodial interrogation. If the officer doesn't intend on questioning you, he does not need to read you your rights.

OP
OP
M

mrc

Forum Crew Member
So even if I clear my name in court I'm still screwed? I guess I should just move away and change careers.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
One is innocent until proven guilty. Arrest does not imply guilt. Sometimes one is falsely arrested (Yes LEO sometimes make a mistake). Many states forbid employers from inquiring about arrest that did not lead to conviction. Check your state laws.

Last edited by a moderator:

DigDugDude

Forum Crew Member
What was the charge?

if its drug or theft related i would possibly consider another field. Like others have said even if expunged doesnt mean it cant be researched and in EMS there is ZERO tolerance for drug or theft charges.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
if its drug or theft related i would possibly consider another field. Like others have said even if expunged doesnt mean it cant be researched and in EMS there is ZERO tolerance for drug or theft charges.

Not true.

I had a bad year right after HS where I got myself into a lot of trouble. I wont post details since it is a public forum but I can tell you that agencies are worried about convictions more than charges. If a charge is dropped you have been found not guilty by our legal system and therefore cannot have that held against you.

I'm sure it varies from agency to agency but I went through a very vigorous background check and drug testing as part of my pre-employment screening.

I'm gainfully employed as a FT Paramedic with a 911 agency.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
So even if I clear my name in court I'm still screwed? I guess I should just move away and change careers.

No.

Take care of your charges. If they are dropped you are fine. I have charges on my record, albeit small ones (the big one that would DQ me from working in this field was dropped) and I still have a job.

Hang in there man.

People make mistakes, it's part of life, it's how you handle what happens after those mistakes and the changes you make that are really important. If you met me now you'd have no idea I was a total :censored::censored::censored::censored:head 4 years ago.

lateralligator

Forum Crew Member
I was charged with a crime back in 2008. The charge was dropped and I petitioned to have my record sealed, which it was. Recently, I underwent a background check for a volunteer position working with survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault. Nothing came up at all. I even saw the piece of paper that said "Nothing found." Having my record sealed was a good move.

Sh*t happens. As NVRob says, hang in there. Face what you have to face and keep on keepin' on. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

zmedic

Forum Captain
Most places I've applied have asked something along the lines of "have you ever been arrested for charges related to endangering/abuse of a child, or crimes related to performance of duties in medicine or EMS? Have you ever been convicted of a crime? Are you currently facing charges?"

So they didn't seem to care about charges that were dropped as long as they didn't relate to children or healthcare.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Most places I've applied have asked something along the lines of "have you ever been arrested for charges related to endangering/abuse of a child, or crimes related to performance of duties in medicine or EMS? Have you ever been convicted of a crime? Are you currently facing charges?"

So they didn't seem to care about charges that were dropped as long as they didn't relate to children or healthcare.

To reiterate what I stated before. Arrest does not imply guilt and it is not permitted to be asked in many states. New York included.

What should I do if a potential employer asks about my arrest record on a job
application or in an interview?

The answer to this question depends on where you live. In some states, it is illegal for potential
employers to ask about or consider arrests that did not lead to convictions. As of January 2005, the
states that make it illegal are: California, Hawaii, Illinois, Massachusetts, Michigan, New York, Ohio,
Rhode Island, Utah, and Wisconsin. All other states allow most or all potential employers to ask
about arrests as well as convictions. (This question may be asked in many different ways. For
example, an employer may ask whether you have ever been charged with a crime – this is essentially
another way of asking whether you have ever been arrested).

Copied from http://www.caepv.org/membercenter/f...minal Records or Arrests (Legal Momentum).pdf in accordance with the fair use law.

lateralligator

Forum Crew Member
On the app for the Citizen's Police Academy they ask if you've ever been arrested.

It's Ohio. I guess it's different because it's not an employer...It's the Police. (??)

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
On the app for the Citizen's Police Academy they ask if you've ever been arrested.

It's Ohio. I guess it's different because it's not an employer...It's the Police. (??)

I think law enforcement have a different set of guidelines. Not sure, but I think so.