Are you obligated to fix and/or report some situations?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Do your certificate or license, whether specifically or under the "moral turpitude" clause, require you to fix and/or report, or at least maybe just step out of, situations posing a threat to others but not necessarily yourself?

Examples:

1. You are doing first aid standby for a peewee football league and a nine-year-old kid starts limping during practice. You tell the coach and he says the kid will walk it off and sends him/her back into scrimmage.
2. A new co-worker is driving the ambulance a little erratically and boasts about smoking marijuana during the last toilet break.
3. You are a lifeguard at a pool and discover that the first aid kit and oxygen are either out of date or missing/empty. The manager shines you on and does nothing to rectify it.
4. You think your ambulance company's protocols and some verbal-only guidelines given to you by your shift supervisor promote overtreatment and unnecessary services to boost the cost of each trip.

What say you? How do you feel, as well as what do you know?:huh:

martor

Forum Crew Member
The things I would report:

1) No. i will not report it because that is what happens in sports. All sports. If the kid was hit HARD.i mean went unconscious and then the couch tells me that he will get walk it off, yes report it.
2) Yes. I don't mind people use weed whatsoever, but absolutely not while working. What happens when you get a serious call and your partner get the giggles. I would let management know that I SUSPECT it.
3) Wont report it immediately but would make sure that it will get fixed. Out of date/missing might get you in trouble if you use it on a patient.
4) No. I try no to bit the hand that feeds me. I know it sounds bad, but I mean round up on miles or always use the pillow and blanket.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
1. You are doing first aid standby for a peewee football league and a nine-year-old kid starts limping during practice.

Kick the kid in the pants and tell him to man up.

2. A new co-worker is driving the ambulance a little erratically and boasts about smoking marijuana during the last toilet break.

Yell at the co-worker for not sharing.

3. You are a lifeguard at a pool and discover that the first aid kit and oxygen are either out of date or missing/empty. The manager shines you on and does nothing to rectify it.

Manager must know co-worker in situation number 2.

4. You think your ambulance company's protocols and some verbal-only guidelines given to you by your shift supervisor promote overtreatment and unnecessary services to boost the cost of each trip.

Isn't this SOP?

Oh!!! were you serious?

Of course you let your ethical and moral upbringing be your guide. If you have to ask...

Last edited by a moderator: