Are you Nationally Registered?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I got my NREMT-B certificate after getting out of my EMS program, but as it comes time to renew, I'm finding that the national registry requires quite a bit more than the state of Michigan.

Do you think it's worth the extra work and effort to go for the national registry, or would I be fine with just a state license?

lastcode

Forum Crew Member
I think it depends on your state. Some states don't except the national, and some you can use it in place of the state. In NY and VT I need state cards to work, so I am already keeping 2 cards up. A 3rd card that doesn't do me any good is pointless. Ask yourself these questions.

Are you living in, or moving to a state that recognizes the national?
Do you have extra time to keep up another card?
Are there any incentives offered by your agency to have it?

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Not currently, but will be in 2006 probably. California currently has state regulations, but leaves it to the individual counties to certify EMTs. Each county has to follow the state regs, but can develop their own test and expanded scope. A few of the counties are currently using National Registry, but L.A., where I'm certified doesn't. However, in 2006, the state will be going to one state-wide certification (assuming everything passes), and that will probably be National Registry.

AngryGeek

Forum Ride Along
I'm a big proponent of the National Registry. My recommendation is definately keep up your registry. It's already widely accepted and of the states that don't use it, many are negoiting with the Registry to start. Traditionally, the Registry test is harder than state tests too--you earned it, don't lose it!

In Ohio, I'm pretty sure the state requires more CEUs to keep our state license (which we only have to pass the Registry and send a form in to get) then the Registry requires. You should be able to apply the same CEUs for your state license toward your Registry.

Get the extra CEUs. It definately won't hurt you. Plus, the additional education will make you a better EMT and perhaps able to provide better patient care as a result of something extra you learned.

lastcode

Forum Crew Member
I don't bother with the national just because I have enough trouble keeping track of my current certs. I work in both NY and VT, which is annoying. VT is an easy state. They follow the national. But NY defines there own levels. NY's EMT-B is based on the national but requires more training and education then the national. Im planning on moving up to EMT-I soon, but NY's EMT-I is useless, you can't push many drugs, and can't use a cardiac monitor. In VT you can push drugs and use the monitor. But NY has Critical Care, which is equal to VTs Intermediate. Eventually my goal is to reach paramedic, which is easier in vermont. Luckily most of my CEUs transfer, but it is still complicated dealing with all this. I wish every state would use the national.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Thought I'd bring this one back for the newbies (like me).

Personally, I like the NREMT, even though their recert requirements are a lot more stringent than some states. When I was an EMT in Iowa, they did everything by the NREMT, so if you met the recert requirements for one, you met them for the other. When I applied for my reciprocity in South Dakota, they took one look at my national card and approved me.

Then I moved to Washington, which doesn't recognize the NREMT at any level except Paramedic. Washington recert only requires 36 hours every 3 years for the EMT-B. I may have a hard time doing my next recert for NREMT, but I think it will be worth it.

Currently, I am the only member in my department that is nationally registered. This was a big advantage to me when I applied for my Combitube certification. I was able to get the classroom portion and the minimum time as an EMT waived.

spunkygizmo

Forum Probie
I live in TN, and while I'm not sure what the requirements here are as far as new licensing is concerned, I think that once you have your state license, you can let your National Registry license lapse. What I mean is, you have to take National Registry to GET your state license,(TN uses the National Registry as their state exam) but after you have your state, you can let your National Registry go. I know several people who have done that. Why you would want to do that is beyond me, but it's weird here, in that we have some skills that are state mandated and some that go by registry standards. As far as the National Registry is concerned, I am a NREMT-B, but in regards to TN, I am licensed as an EMT-IV, which means that I can do a few more advanced skills, i.e., starting and maintaining an IV, pushing a limited number of drugs, etc. We only have 3 levels in TN, EMT-B, EMT-IV, and EMT-P. :)

:)Rachel:)

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
In New York State the national registry is not required. The State requirements *supposedly* follow the National Registry requirements very closely.

citizencain20

Forum Probie
This is just from personal expirience but I would NEVER let my national registry lapse...It has many valuable uses and where I am alot of potential employers want your NR number for proof of skills.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by citizencain20@Jul 10 2004, 08:10 PM
This is just from personal expirience but I would NEVER let my national registry lapse...It has many valuable uses and where I am alot of potential employers want your NR number for proof of skills.
Ditto.

rescuecpt

Our County EMS is very strong and keeps very close tabs on its certified personnel, and the State does as well, even more so for ALS providers - getting the NREMT isn't even an option that is discussed in classes here.

The only national registry requirement that I've heard being discussed here is for medics.

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
At first I said I would do the national registry, but I now decided just to let it lapse and go with my state license.

National Registry Requirements:
EMT Refresher Course
48 Additional CEUs, 24 must be actually taught (opposed to video or online)

Michigan Requirements
30 CEUs, all can be online or via video.

For me it's a clear choice. I just don't have the time to get all the requirements for the national registry. I honestly dont know if I'll regret the decision later, but I just dont see any other way to do it.

rescuecpt

I was reading the NYS Department of Health info regarding reciprocity of certifications... they won't accept the National Registry only - you must also be certified by a State... but they will accept State cert only.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
I took my National Registry just for the challange and to have the extra credential. I am due for my first recert come 2005. I was sort of fretting about the con-ed but think I should be ok with completing half of it on-line and the other half getting from BTLS and other courses I've taken during my paramedic program.

Unfortunately, I won't test for NREMT-Paramedic until after my Basic expiration date.

rescuecpt

Now that my CC is done, I'm thinking about Firefighter II... but I heard that it's "really tough"... of course, a group of 50 year old men told me that. I might just do it to prove them wrong. ;)

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Thatz the spirit... :) I'm sure you would do fine. I know a few females down my way that are FF II certified.

rescuecpt

Yeah, Firefighter I was easy, so how hard can FFII be? The only thing I had trouble with was pulling down the cieling... because I'm short (5'5") the guys definitely had an advantage, I had to swing harder and higher. But I still did it.

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I am only state certified (for IL), not nationally certified. I am thinking about taking the nationals though. Also, will begin Firefighter II soon.

Alpha752

Forum Crew Member
I am NREMT-B now, and am starting for NREMT-P. Ohio requires it.
Hopefully FF1 will be comming shortly after EMT-P

Russ

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Originally posted by rescuelt@Jul 11 2004, 06:53 PM
Now that my CC is done, I'm thinking about Firefighter II... but I heard that it's "really tough"... of course, a group of 50 year old men told me that. I might just do it to prove them wrong. ;)
Currently, the California State Fire Marshal has a seperate Volunteer Firefighter certification for us in addition to FF1 and FF2. In-house VFD training programs can pretty much only get you the VFF cert...if you want FF1 and or FF2, you pretty much have to go to a full academy. We've got a few of our members (who want to get hired somewhere) doing that, but the options are rough. Two of our guys will be graduating the weekend after next after having spent all day every Saturday and Sunday of the last ELEVEN MONTHS at the academy, and three more (two guys and one gal) will be starting that same program right around then.

Not only is that rough on them physically and mentally, its also rough on the department because we lose them as responders on their duty weekends.

The California State Firefighters Association Volunteer Committee (which is co-chaired by one of our Engineers) is currently looking at getting rid of the VFF cert and coming up with a process for VFDs to certify vollies at least as FF1 in-house.