Are EMS providers hated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarSevenFour

Forum Crew Member
You say back in the old days like it isn't still a problem.
Read it again and UNDERSTAND. I'll give you some help, there were no TED talks or even "online" back in the day, so ya think I'm writing about the HERE AND NOW? Suicides were not as pervasive in the past, but they did occur, it is far worse now.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
the person reaching out to others through public TED talks and online show a trend where we go into this avocation wanting to help others and end up hating what we become. Callous, uncaring, tired and feeling alone, so we "buck it up," because, "others need us." That is on topic that is THE topic.
Ah, you’re talking about self-hate. I mean, I guess it has the word hate in it, but no, I don’t believe that is why the thread was started. And the OP in this thread is not the original OP.

Again, I’ve sat in on a lecture (was a refresher course pre-online options) about mental wellness, though I don’t think that’s what anyone realized the speaker was getting at until the end. I’ve heard podcasts on the same and the strife that they’ve experienced.

Kelly Grayson has a good book as well, but I don’t recall the name.

With all that said, the one thing I found in common with the lecturer and podcasts is this “failed hero” mindset. The last time I checked not one person was drafted into public service. Not one.

For some reason many providers have this (false) romantic notion about the job, often perpetuated by the media and society’s depiction of such providers.

Again, I’m not advocating against seeking help, shaming people who need it, or offering an ear.

What I am saying is ultimately it is up to the individual to come forward. It is not my burden to carry. The calls are not my tragedy to relive. Self health and self worth seem like parallel concepts to me.

I carry no burdens from work because I choose not to. I know I am not alone in this thought process. Many providers are able to live healthy, productive lives without so much as living a one-dimensional hero lifestyle.

Contentment isn’t found in my work, neither is love. That is for my family.

Proficiency, competence, and cohesiveness. To me these are all characteristics of a mentally healthy professional regardless of their line of work.

I have no self hate after all of my years, nor do I feel guilty for it. I certainly don’t have the time or energy to hate anyone else.

There, I threw the word hate back in there to keep it on topic. Lol cheers.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Read it again and UNDERSTAND. I'll give you some help, there were no TED talks or even "online" back in the day, so ya think I'm writing about the HERE AND NOW? Suicides were not as pervasive in the past, but they did occur, it is far worse now.
So now you’re acting the bully. Part of the problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.