Anyone else's Medic program require uniforms on class days?

FutureFlightMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Hi again everyone! Today was my first day of winter term of my paramedic program; we are starting trauma and RSI. Pretty good first day, and I am excited that I'm almost there! (Done in Sept). My instructor told us that from now on we are required to wear our paramedic student uniforms while in class/lab. He said that it is a better look, as we are professionals now. Does anyone else have to wear uniforms for medic school? What do they look like, and do you LIKE them? I guess lots of medic programs are doing this now...is probably helpful to bring our professionalism out so we can be viewed as that-Medical Professionals. I think our uniforms look sharp, so I'm not complaining....I'm just going to miss all my fun, cute, 'girly' clothes!! If I'm not wearing a medic student uniform, it'll be my F.D. uniform or my hospital scrubs for work in the ER. I guess the good thing is, I'll save money by NOT buying new clothes!:blush:

Asclepius

Forum Lieutenant
Not a bad idea necessarily. Hopefully, it will help instill a sense of professionalism. You have to look the part to play the part and vice versa.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I've never really got the concept of uniforms for classes. If your (generaic "your," not directed at anyone specific) professionalism is lacking to the extent that you need a uniform to help you learn the material then maybe EMS isn't the place for you. Afterall, universities and other professional schools (MD/DO, RN, PA, law school, etc) don't seem to require a uniform for their diadactic courses (to clarify, lecture=no uniform. Clinicals=uniform).

Maybe what paramedic courses really need is a dressing test. If you can't dress yourself for lecture (t-shirt, jeans, shoes, etc), then you don't get in.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I've never really got the concept of uniforms for classes. If your (generaic "your," not directed at anyone specific) professionalism is lacking to the extent that you need a uniform to help you learn the material then maybe EMS isn't the place for you. Afterall, universities and other professional schools (MD/DO, RN, PA, law school, etc) don't seem to require a uniform for their diadactic courses (to clarify, lecture=no uniform. Clinicals=uniform).

Maybe what paramedic courses really need is a dressing test. If you can't dress yourself for lecture (t-shirt, jeans, shoes, etc), then you don't get in.

agreed. None of us have time. Almost all of us commute in. Avg commute is 45 minutes. We all come from EMS jobs....most come from EMS jobs othr come from whatever other job they have. Some still come in uniforms required by those jobs if we haven't changed out.

Mine doesn't. We started in Sept and finish in August.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Studies have shown that people prefer their doctors to be dressed like they dressed in the 50s. My friend is a medical student, and didn't want to abide by the strict medical student dress code. They told him as long as people were forced to accept his care in the teaching hospital and didn't have a choice in doctors, he would have to abide by the dress code. I think the same should apply to paramedic students. The classroom isn't as important.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Personally, I believe the classic EMT uniform should not be worn in hospital clinical setting.(i.e. ER, ICU, Physician rotations) & only on the EMS rotations.

We are discussing scrubs for in hospital and alike mine was a professional dress (lab coat/shirt/tie) for physician paramedic internship rotations. Then for the field the usual EMT uniform.

The first thing in patient care is initial appearance, sorry it is. If one looks like a security guard in the hospital it is hard for the patient and family to understand why they want to treat them. Most family and patients prefer not to have to read the patches or name tag, to see whom and what you are.

Look the part.. You will be surprised on the results.

R/r 911

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
We require our Paramedic students to be in uniform, but then again they are getting paid while they are in class. We also have started putting the students in scrubs for their hospital rotations, seems to work well..............

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
Here in NZ, we are asked to wear our uniform to classes.

But things are different here, as we can volunteer to work on the ambulance with the paid crew, as we train.
Not clinical time like you have in the States.
We work the 111 (911) or what ever the calls are for the ambulance we are on at the time. So we are given a uniform by the ambulance service, so we look the part at least.:)
We just don't get the patches on the sleeves, until we qualify for which ever level we are training at.

Cheers Enjoynz

Katie

Forum Lieutenant
We wear uniforms in class, basically the same ones as we wear at the firestation. Light blue button down top, dark blue trousers and black boots. For hospital clinicals we wear a dark blue polo shirt instead of the light blue one that says Paramedic Student so that we don't get confused with the hospital staff. This way the doctors don't get confused and ask us to do something we're not authorised for.

MikeRi24

Forum Crew Member
For my EMT calss, we are required to wear black Paramedic Pants and a white polo. then once we complete the class, we get the compnay uniform. I was kinda upset when i had to unload $200 for 2 pairs of pants and a few white polos....o well

Epi-do

I see dead people
We have the option of wearing our uniforms that we wear on ambulance clinicals, our scrubs from hospital clinicals, class B fire department uniforms (if we work for a fire department), or business casual.

patrick239

Forum Probie
I am a current student...

and we are required to wear the uniform pants, black footwear and a golf style shirt designating us as students. The shirts for basics are a different color than those of the paramedic students.
We are required to wear a t-shirt with the same pants and footwear for class and lab sessions.

TheDoll

Forum Captain
i just started paramedic school on friday, and thank GOODNESS we don't have to wear our uniforms in class. we can wear pretty much whatever we want

patrick239

Forum Probie
The fact that I have had to spend more money on the uniform does not make me happy. Other than that, I personally think it is a good idea to have uniforms. But I can certainly understand those of you who don't want to wear them.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
i see no benefit to being in uniform for class. its the students and the instructor. no patients, no public, nobody else. clinicals and ride time are another story all together but there is no reason to be suited and booted to sit in your chair and take a lecture.

patrick239

Forum Probie
Let me first say that we have to wear them for class and lab.

If you took a look around the classroom the first night of my class, you would not be asking me this question. I think wearing the uniforms gets people in the right mindset for the experience. It limits the amount of potential distractions in the learning environment. We are not there to make fashion statements we are there to learn the "business" of saving lives. It is a very serious thing to me.
I don't know about your area but the EMS professionals in my area look and act the part. They have a very good reputation and always look the part. It is a county run third service that is not easy to get hired at and they want the people who are training those of us who will be in the job market to look and act the part.
In my opinion, it is a good idea. I am not saying you are wrong, just saying what I believe.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I guess it's a large part of perception. After 4 years of undergrad and going into my second semester in a masters program, I never felt that my education has been compromised by not requiring a uniform. Is it an issue of maturity in some places? Similiarly, the medical students whom my master's program takes classes with only are in "uniform" (suit and tie) if they are going into the hospital for a class (ex: Interviewing).

patrick239

Forum Probie
I think it is different if you are in medical school or even a bachelor's program. I should have specified that I am referring to an EMT-B program like the one I am in. It only lasts one semester and some of these "kids" probably plan to go to fire academy or get a job in EMS.