Anyone else hate needles? (past or present)

apagea99

Forum Lieutenant
The Corpsman doing the draw quickly told me to lay down and got me some juice and cookies. Apparently I turned ghost white.^_^

You got juice and cookies???? You can stick me with swords for juice & cookies! :p

Needles aren't so bad. I prefer to be on the giving side rather than receiving unless there's ink involved. I'm sure I'll be sick of needles (giving & receiving) by the time Ft Sam Houston is finished with me!

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
I have no problem using the 21g on people but I refuse anything bigger unless I have to! 14g should just be for Theraputics. They have NO reason to use those otherwise.

I get at least a 20g here, 18 if there is a big enough vein. Regardless of where I do my clinicals. 18 if the patient isn't doing that well, or I think they're going to go down hill. Arrests or those who are about half-dead get a 14.

(Obviously this changes with each patient, but everyone gets at least a 20 gauge if they have a vein big enough to handle it.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
P.S. - You had Corpsman doing your blood draw at MEPS? They drew mine at boot. At MEPS, a nurse drew my blood.

Most definitely a Corpsman. Strange, I know, but a Naval base was near by, so that's probably why.

Afflixion

Forum Captain
I get at least a 20g here, 18 if there is a big enough vein. Regardless of where I do my clinicals. 18 if the patient isn't doing that well, or I think they're going to go down hill. Arrests or those who are about half-dead get a 14.

(Obviously this changes with each patient, but everyone gets at least a 20 gauge if they have a vein big enough to handle it.)

you can almost always find a vein large enough for an 18. When I worked on a truck you got an 18 or a 16 if you needed an IV and here we dont carry anything smaller than 18ga

but in regards to original question nope I have no fear of needles, and yes apagea you will get more than your fair share of needles at FT Sam.

hrmeeks

Forum Crew Member
haha, I can break myself of it. Like I said, I'm not phobic of them. Just wondering if anyone else went into this profession feeling the same way.

fav thing to tell people dont worry I m not gonna feel a thing

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
EEEEEKKKKK!!!!!! I don't care what they say..... I still hate needles!! Airwaygoddess faints yet again! LOL :p