Anyone else get nervous before their CPR cert?

FR Wrath

Forum Probie
I know it's easy and I know a bunch of folks who have cleared it, but for some reason I just can't shake the nerves. I start EMT-B classes on Jan. 19th, and I just have this fear of shaking a dummy and screaming "are you ok" at a lifeless being!:rolleyes: Any suggestions?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
As an instructor... it takes true effort to fail a CPR class.

Just think... if you do nothing, they are DEAD. If you do CPR correctly, they may or may not have a slim chance of living... you can't make DEAD any worse.

In short... don't let it get you stressed out. Everyone I know needs to recert CPR every 2 years (or sooner)... it becomes a joke... because I do CPR on a monthly basis (+/-) on REAL people.

firecoins

IFT Puppet

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
One cannot fail CPR, they are "recycled or rehab" until one passes.

R/r911

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I know it's easy and I know a bunch of folks who have cleared it, but for some reason I just can't shake the nerves. I start EMT-B classes on Jan. 19th, and I just have this fear of shaking a dummy and screaming "are you ok" at a lifeless being!:rolleyes: Any suggestions?

You will get over this discomfort in EMT class for sure. We are very good at yelling at lifeless dummies. Of course we get lots of practice on this communicating with our co-workers

41 Duck

Forum Lieutenant
You will get over this discomfort in EMT class for sure. We are very good at yelling at lifeless dummies. Of course we get lots of practice on this communicating with our co-workers

WINNER!

Later!

--Coop

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Bossycow!!

Did you like the new SAM splint I brought to work yesterday?;)
I always get stage fright before CP recert because I've been treated to some prize bozos in the past. However they want you to pass so relax.

OP
OP
F

FR Wrath

Forum Probie
Well, thanks for all the kind words. I passed it yesterday with 100% in all areas! Now looking forward to the actual EMT-B course!

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Well, thanks for all the kind words. I passed it yesterday with 100% in all areas! Now looking forward to the actual EMT-B course!

For me the first day of class was even more CPR. So yah after getting my CPR card about two weeks before class I got to do 4 more hours of CPR just so I could get it checked off for my Basic class. And I hear that there will be more to come in the future.

HELLO PLASTIC DUMMIE!!!

OP
OP
F

FR Wrath

Forum Probie
We had a friggin' busted dummy. Apparently someone put a small hole in the "lung" so we couldn't see the chest rise. Instructor let it go, since apparently it had been busted for a while. Louisiana EMS. Gotta love 'em!:p

pumper12fireman

Forum Crew Member
I do, for some strange reason get nervous before CPR check-off. Even in ACLS I was nervous to do our BLS CPR check-off. It's silly to be nervous, after awhile it becomes very, very mundane and routine. So, you're not alone.

Skirts

Forum Ride Along
What's scary is when the lifeless dummy yells back at you. We had dummy that had a BP, pulse, etc, and it also talked. The first time we used it our instructor didn't tell us about the talking so we all jumped about ten feet in the air when it started to scream at me because I didn't ask it's permision to take a BP.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
What's scary is when the lifeless dummy yells back at you. We had dummy that had a BP, pulse, etc, and it also talked. The first time we used it our instructor didn't tell us about the talking so we all jumped about ten feet in the air when it started to scream at me because I didn't ask it's permision to take a BP.

It's creepier in real life. I had an obviously 'dead' pt. Been outside for at least 24 hours, 86 year old male with an alphabet soup of pre-existing conditions, found supine, cold, hands stiff in front of his chest with mild lividity. I took a pulse as a formality, we all knew he was dead. But he wasn't. Guy swallowed then opened his eyes when I touched him... creepiest call I've ever, ever, ever been on. He had a core temp of 86 but survived. Lived for about another year after the event.

Elliot

Forum Probie
the only way to overcome your fear is to attack it!!!
after a few times, it will be another day in the playground!!

jochi1543

Forum Captain
No, the absolute creepiest thing to me are the triage scenarios. It's weird and embarrassing whether you're the patient or the EMT.

jochi1543

Forum Captain
Triage scenarios in CPR? 'Splain to me, Lucy! :wacko:

Not CPR, but EMT. I was just talking in general about the thing I dislike the most in my EMS education so far.

I don't mind being the dead patient or the psych patient, though. The first one allows me to do nothing and the second means I can run around the classroom screaming, sucking my thumb, and pretending to be riding a unicorn.:ph34r::wacko: