Any places in CA that hire 18 yr olds?

Psychologist

Forum Probie
I currently live in the bay area where an ambulance job is out of the question if your not 21. I was wondering if outside of the bay area there are companies that hire 18 and 19 yr olds. Il be done with my class in mid december and will turn 19 in January. I want at least a year of EMT experience to increase my odds of getting into the medic school i want to go to.

If there are companies that do, are any located in the chico california area or santa barbara area? Want to be near my buddies in college.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I've met EMTs that work at Rural/Metro that were younger than 21, and they were allowed to drive and tech. Although American Medical Response (AMR) isn't doing so hot right now, but they still have contracts in San Francisco and Contra Costa County, I think they hire people under 21 too when positions are available. Apply everywhere.

OP
OP
P

Psychologist

Forum Probie
AMR would be nice. All my instructors have worked with AMR. I only asked them about employment in the bay area which ended with a "no chance". Il have to ask about the rural metro area.

Worse comes to worst, il get a job as an event EMT. Thats what one of my instructors recommended as he did it himself when he was under 21. I dont think it would look as good as an ambulance job when applying for school however.

Thanks for your response

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
AMR would be nice. All my instructors have worked with AMR. I only asked them about employment in the bay area which ended with a "no chance". Il have to ask about the rural metro area.

Worse comes to worst, il get a job as an event EMT. Thats what one of my instructors recommended as he did it himself when he was under 21. I dont think it would look as good as an ambulance job when applying for school however.

Thanks for your response

If being a Medic is your goal than apply for it as soon as you can. A year sitting in a bandaid station will not help you be a better Medic. You are in an area where emts are a dime a dozen working at minimum wage.

OP
OP
P

Psychologist

Forum Probie
Im aware of that but the school i want to get into is competitive and 6months in the field is required. I will definately apply to the next opening once i have completed my 6 months full time but i feel i should prepare myself for an extended stay just in case. Actually what i think il do is work part time while taking anatomy and possibly physiology. That way il have my hours done within 9 months along with those classes. I just hope il be able to find a place that will hire me.

TreySpooner65

Forum Lieutenant
Just because event EMT wont get you into medic school doesnt mean you have to count it out. If you get the opportunity to get on with an event EMT company do it until you find an ambulance company that will take you. This way you will have experience too.

For what it's worth, I am 20 and was just approved by an ambulance companie's insurance company for employment and am waiting on another company to get back to me after a very good interview. They were not concerned about my age, and they are a subsidiary of Rural/Metro.

Good luck with everything.

OP
OP
P

Psychologist

Forum Probie
Ugh looks like i have to wait till fall 2014. Need to take anatomy physiology for the class. I also need to complete a math class. On top of this 6 months full time emt work. I dont think i can do that in the 7 months id have after becoming a registered emt.

dam. gotta wait 19 months before i can go to medic school. Guess il be able to knock out a couple nursing pre reqs in that time.

TreySpooner65

Forum Lieutenant
Ugh looks like i have to wait till fall 2014. Need to take anatomy physiology for the class. I also need to complete a math class. On top of this 6 months full time emt work. I dont think i can do that in the 7 months id have after becoming a registered emt.

dam. gotta wait 19 months before i can go to medic school. Guess il be able to knock out a couple nursing pre reqs in that time.

Whats the rush? At 18 you are already ahead of the curve, just like I was (but I sat on my rump and wasted time.) All of those prereqs for medic school are there to help you, and 6 months is a MINIMUM. I am planning on 1 year ambulance experience (in addition to my 6-9 months other EMT experience doing events etc) before medic school.

OP
OP
P

Psychologist

Forum Probie
Im considering going straight into nursing to become a CEN at this point. It would only take 1 year longer to make 3x the pay lol. And im in a rush because im excited about working

TreySpooner65

Forum Lieutenant
We're all excited. But dont settle because its convinient. If you want to be a paramedic do it. But if you want to be a nurse, do that. Dont make your decision based on pay.

OP
OP
P

Psychologist

Forum Probie
Im not. I just started watching some ER documentaries and nursing became pretty dam cool to me lol. I set up my class schedule for the next 2 years in a way that i can choose paramedic even if i decide last minute. So we'll see