Any MA firefighters out there? Few questions.

Zeroo

Forum Crew Member
I have a couple questions to ask. I know this is an emt/medic forum but you guys seem like a good group of people to ask. Not to mention I have seen some people in fire on these forums... I think. Anyways I want to try and do some volunteer work for a fire department. How do I go about doing this? Is there usually an application I fill out for this for the fire department? Do I just go to the fire department and ask? What are the qualifications? I know mass has a civil service exam that is required to work as a fire fighter and you get put on a list. Do you need to take this exam before you can volunteer? What stations do you know of that need/accept volunteers. I know that most big cities normally don't need it or accept it. Any towns you can recommend? Do they require volunteers to live within certain parameters of the station? I think that's all the questions I have. I am sorry about the long list of questions. If it matters I am 19 and am fit/have good health. :wacko::wacko:

Oh ya... which fire departments do you know of have als trucks/medics?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Z

Zeroo

Forum Crew Member
Oh another thing sorry if this is in the wrong section. I wasn't to sure what section it really belonged in.

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
I have a couple questions to ask. I know this is an emt/medic forum but you guys seem like a good group of people to ask. Not to mention I have seen some people in fire on these forums... I think. Anyways I want to try and do some volunteer work for a fire department. How do I go about doing this? Is there usually an application I fill out for this for the fire department? Do I just go to the fire department and ask? What are the qualifications? I know mass has a civil service exam that is required to work as a fire fighter and you get put on a list. Do you need to take this exam before you can volunteer? What stations do you know of that need/accept volunteers. I know that most big cities normally don't need it or accept it. Any towns you can recommend? Do they require volunteers to live within certain parameters of the station? I think that's all the questions I have. I am sorry about the long list of questions. If it matters I am 19 and am fit/have good health. :wacko::wacko:

Oh ya... which fire departments do you know of have als trucks/medics?

It depends. The majority of MA towns are paid fire. Towns up in the cape ann area are vollies and out in western mass tend to be vollie also. Usually there's a residency requirement to be on the department meaning you have to live in the town. Some towns with vollie ambulances could hire you for shifts but it depends. Civil service only applies to career fire departments. Your best bet is to look into your own town of its volunteer and give the station a call to find out more.

And most of the time ALS is provided by a private agency either by flycar or the private agency contracting out a crew and truck to be at their station.

OP
OP
Z

Zeroo

Forum Crew Member
Dang it looks like I am out of luck then. I am pretty sure my town has no need for volunteers. Thanks for the information man.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Most Paid On Call and volunteer departments require residency in that town, but not all. For instance Sherborn (small town in the metrowest area by Framingham) accepts volunteers from neighboring towns. When you're on call you have to be in the town however. Your best bet is to figure out what towns near you have a Paid On Call component to support the career folks or the towns that have no career folks at all. Then just start calling and asking.

As for fire based ALS, there are many departments that do this in MA, especially the Boston suburbs and the cape. I can't begin to come up with a list, there are a lot.

OP
OP
Z

Zeroo

Forum Crew Member
@steam I am in Danvers MA.

@tigger thanks looks like I have some research to do.

OP
OP
Z

Zeroo

Forum Crew Member
Thanks that map helps a lot... I like how all the volunteer jobs are all the way <------ from where I am... Anyways ya I see a few surrounding towns that I might get lucky with. Hopefully they don't mind that I live 5 minutes away in another town.

OP
OP
Z

Zeroo

Forum Crew Member
Have any useful tips for me? Do you know if there are any common qualifications for a volunteer?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Have any useful tips for me? Do you know if there are any common qualifications for a volunteer?

The fact that your an EMT will likely help, many of these departments will also have a BLS ambulance. Most of them provide training, don't bother paying for it yourself. A clean record and a willingness to dedicate so many hours a month to the department are generally all that's required.

Steam Engine

Forum Lieutenant
The fact that your an EMT will likely help, many of these departments will also have a BLS ambulance. Most of them provide training, don't bother paying for it yourself. A clean record and a willingness to dedicate so many hours a month to the department are generally all that's required.

What he said. Also, it's a good idea to be in fairly decent shape before starting out, if you aren't already...I know there are a lot of hefty firefighters out there, but think about how much easier and more enjoyable the job will be if you're physically fit.

OP
OP
Z

Zeroo

Forum Crew Member
Ya I thought me being an emt would help. I am willing to dedicate any and all my free time. So that wont be a problem. My record is also spotless. @steamengine I am already physically fit so I am good in that department. I hope a fd around here takes me on as a volunteer. The only thing that might be a problem for me is my location.