any info on explorers programs and becoming a paramedic?

Youngin

Forum Crew Member
Premium Member
I'm 17, and I'm really interested in becoming a paramedic. I was thinking about joining the explorers program in my area (Greenville County, SC), and I was wondering if anyone here could tell me what to expect. I know some things, but I don't know alot. Such as what to expect on ride alongs, what I'd be "allowed" to do, and stuff like that. Also, I graduate next spring, so where would I go from there to become a paramedic? I know I need to be certified as an EMT-B and EMT-I first, so how long would that take, and does it really matter where I do that? I was thinking just the local technical school, but idk.

Lots of questions, any help is appreciated! :p

webster44

Forum Crew Member
I originally became involved in EMS through an Explorer program. They had a first responder class that I took. Once I finished I began carrying a pager. We could respond to calls, But I don't recall ever actually doing anything- Mostly just watched.
We were pretty heavily involved though in all training drills.

Good Luck

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
I'm 17, and I'm really interested in becoming a paramedic. I was thinking about joining the explorers program in my area (Greenville County, SC), and I was wondering if anyone here could tell me what to expect. I know some things, but I don't know alot. Such as what to expect on ride alongs, what I'd be "allowed" to do, and stuff like that. Also, I graduate next spring, so where would I go from there to become a paramedic? I know I need to be certified as an EMT-B and EMT-I first, so how long would that take, and does it really matter where I do that? I was thinking just the local technical school, but idk.

Lots of questions, any help is appreciated! :p

Andrew,
If you're interested in joining any type of Explorer program, contact your local council first (look under Boy Scouts of America in the phone book). As far as what you'll experience, well, that depends on the organization sponsoring the post. Becoming a paramedic is not easy, nor is it cheap. Figure a year of school, clinicals, and ride-time, along with an investment of several thousand dollars. (Remember, this is *after* getting your EMT cert). Getting your -I is not necessary, and for my money it's a waste of time if you're planning on getting a Medic ticket. Your local Technical College is a good place to start gathering the specifics, though I do know the Upstate has several robust EMS programs available. Good luck in attaining your goals.

TF

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
As for what you are "allowed" to do, you can carry equipment for the medics, ask lots of questions, some places may let you do repeat vitals. Essentially they can let you do anything that doesn't have the possibility of harming the patient.

OP
OP
Y

Youngin

Forum Crew Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the replies. I couldn't find a number for the local council that Tincanfireman mentioned, so I just called the EMS Office, and they said someone will call me tomorrow, but they couldn't really tell me anything else, which kinda sucked.

Thanks again.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Thanks for the replies. I couldn't find a number for the local council that Tincanfireman mentioned, so I just called the EMS Office, and they said someone will call me tomorrow, but they couldn't really tell me anything else, which kinda sucked.

Thanks again.

Boy Scouts of America - www.blueridgecouncil.org
1 Park Plaza, Greenville - (864) 233-8363

http://www.blueridgecouncil.org/brcic/WhoToContact.aspx

Look under "Venturing", the new term for the Explorer program

Last edited by a moderator: