Any ideas on how to get a job?

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
I have studied the new catch phrase "critical thinking skills" and have even developed a lecture and hopefully will publish an article on it. The point I have found from research is that the job may require such attributes, but we (educators) have failed to address such attributes.

I agree, EMT, Paramedic and all courses do not address nor teach such skills. Yes, some people appear to have inept ability to possess such skills before entering a profession that requires such demands. It has been found out that such skills can be taught, re-emphasized in skills and scenario type teaching. Yes, one will hone and fine tune it and develop it stronger with experience. It really is not dependent upon the license or certification level, however; the role of the Paramedic demands and requires that the individual develop good critical thinking skills.

Yes, critical thinking skills develops with experience, but one has to have the aptitudes to be able to wisely and correctly take on those tasks. Being able to perform the Basic EMT skills is a mute point, research in education has demonstrated that those skills are very elementary and with repetitive practice the majority of people can master them without any difficulty at all. Hence the reason of why the need of an more intellectual applicant over a task performer. I can demonstrate lead placement and how to spike an IV and within the third time the majority of EMT's have mastered it, not really a difficult problem. Although the training and education level of the EMT program is very sub par, let's not think they are not able to perform such tasks if taught properly.

We (EMS) need to really stop and evaluate our education system, apparently what we are doing is not working.

R/r911

Rid, to piggyback off your comment...critical thinking comes from a greater understanding of the human body, how and why it works (A&P). If your knowledge base is limited, your critical thinking will be as well. Any monkey can do the skills, I'd rather have a provider who can tell me what is going on and why they're providing the interventions they're giving.

It's all about the education. Hospitals and ambulances aren't going anywhere. In today's 'I want it yesterday' society, people are looking for shortcuts to things...medical certifications and degrees shouldn't be one of those. I don't want to be the patient who's having a problem that you fast-tracked your way through.

Take the extra 6 months - or however long you have to go - to complete your education and do it right. I can't count how many students come to our ambulance to do ride time - supposedly ready to do phase III time - and not have a clue as how to do a proper patient assessment. Oh yeah they can do an IV and tell a sinus rhythm from V-tach...but they can't tell me why their patient is hypotensive when they're having an allergic reaction, or why they should withhold nitro in a patient with ST-elevation in leads II, III, AVf with reciprocal changes (for example). That scares me.

Ohio_EMT

Forum Ride Along
If they hire < 18 then they are self insured. I have not seen any national insurance carrier that will provide coverage for < 21 some even require at elast 23 years of age.

R/r 911

My volly department is not self insured and we have no verbiage stating an age limitation.

Although the department up the road does have age restricitions.

I would think it would be carrier based, since they are the ones underwriting the risk.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
In a past life I used to hire people.

As has been stated elsewhere in these forums, your inital presentation says a lot about your ambition, professionalism and desire to work for said employer. I agree with Rid and Jon there is more to it than just related experience. Two years of busing! Thats a long time for a young person. It tells me you are likely reliable and loyal. Two good qualities in anyone. Make your resume, you'll need it. Get help with it so it looks good. Keep trying for jobs and go for your nursing. Nurses are in more demand than medics, and the pay is much better. Hang in there don't give up.