Any good TV out there for those with IQ over 80?

hippocratical

Forum Lieutenant
Heading back out on rotation soon and am getting low on TV shows. Anyone got anything good to recommend that isn't designed solely for mouth breathers? There's so much crap out there!

As a guide, personally I love:
* Good SciFi (Battlestar, Stargate, etc)
* Firefly and anything Whedon
* House (earlier seasons)
* West Wing
* Dexter
* Science shows like Mythbusters and Dirty Jobs

I get stabby when these are even near me:
* Glee
* Reality TV
* Anything with canned laughter

Any good TV sommeliers out there?

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I like everything you listed so here are my picks.

Try a show called Kingdom it's a British series about a lawyer.
Try the new doctor who series. The recent episodes are very similar in style to the firefly series. Nothing like the old ones.
If you like the new doctor who try the spin off torchwood.
There's a creepy sic fi series called LEXX. I honestly don't know why I like it but when I can't find anything else I put it on.
At the top of my list is Farscape also a sic fi series with an enormous story arc that like firefly was killed then finished with a movie.
The walking dead isn't bad
Archer (animated)
Home movies (animated)

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
-Breaking bad

-justified

-homeland

-the firm

-southland

bigbaldguy

-Breaking bad

-justified

-homeland

-the firm

-southland

Breaking bad is an enormous +1 can't believe I forgot that one.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Boston Legal

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Just about anything on the Military Channel...plus they don't run infomercials in the middle of the night.

OP
OP
hippocratical

hippocratical

Forum Lieutenant
> Kingdom
Not heard of that - will Wiki it.

> Try the new doctor who series.
You know, I ran with that for a while. Thought the whole 'Rose' saga was great, but then during the 'Donna' phase things just got to weird and kiddy IMHO. I hear the new doctor is good though...

> the spin off torchwood.
Again had potential, but found that often it would try to be 'edgey' for no reason: "Loads of gore for no reason!" (and I'm in EMS - I like gore! :p) and lotsa "Gay sex! Wow we're adult!" (I dont care what you stick where)

> LEXX.
Really? only caught it randomly and seemed like Muppets in space. Does it have good writing?

> Farscape
The woman in it is fantastic and seems to have become typecast in all the things I see her in as "sassy intelligent hot chick". I would let her do bad, bad things to me... Sorry... Where was I? I think I watched the first season years ago. Maybe worth a re-visit.

> The walking dead isn't bad
Just started the second series and the plot holes are pissing me off. And this is coming from someone who stuck through Lost until the very end...

> Archer (animated)
> Home movies (animated)
Never heard of these two. Will research.

> southland
I hear this is lot like The Wire. I can fully appreciate that both The Wire and The Shield are/were fantastic shows, but I for whatever reason just cant seem to stick with them. Each to their own I guess.

> Breaking Bad
Saw the pilot and it didn't grab me. Was in a grumpy mood though, so maybe worth a retry...

Thanks so far!

Oh and I've thought of some others, if anyone else is looking for shows:
* Generation Kill - fantastic HBO miniseries, kinda a modern version of;
* Band of Brothers - also fantastic
* True blood - it's witty writing + boobs. What's not to like?
* Raising Hope - Channeling Scrubs writing style I feel
* Game of Thrones. Watch this. No really - you must or you life will be but a shell of a golem. I'm deep into the books because of this show.

Last edited by a moderator:

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Just about everything you've mentioned I enjoyed.

If you can find the Stars Camelot series, I loved that one, there were only ten episodes but it tickled my fancy, hence my avatar.

I'm also going to have to +1 Breaking Bad. I've pounded through the first two seasons in about a week and a half. It's my current favorite show.

I'm in the middle of the first Game of Thrones book, can't find the TV series anywhere.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the BBC Robin Hood series. It's kind of quirky, but that's what I liked about it.
Aaaaaand... if you end up liking Archer, you'll like Bob's Burgers, filled with the same one-liners.

OP
OP
hippocratical

hippocratical

Forum Lieutenant
I'm also going to have to +1 Breaking Bad.

I hear that the main character becomes more and more unlikable. I really didn't like him in the Pilot so maybe that's a bad sign for me enjoying it? That said, I do love me a good anti-hero... Dr. Gregory House is a God (hence the House/Freeman avatar) and I actually feel like a stupider, less amoral version of him ^_^

Anyone watched "Person of Interest"? Sounds like a procedural with a pedigree (Nolan + Abrams writing).

EDIT:
> I'm in the middle of the first Game of Thrones book, can't find the TV series anywhere.

Depending on your definitions of morality and/or piracy, it can either be very hard or very easy to find. I don't want to break any house rules, but using your powers of Google with the terms "Game of Thrones" and "+torrent" might be cunning. Not that I'd advocate such a practice, especially to someone living in the U.S.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
I hear that the main character becomes more and more unlikable. I really didn't like him in the Pilot so maybe that's a bad sign for me enjoying it?

Honestly I've been liking him more and more. The deeper he gets wrapped up into things the more exposed/human he becomes.

bigbaldguy

The new release of Sherlock holmes s pretty good too.

LEXX is a terrible series I have no idea why I keep going back to it but there's something about it.

I wasn't crazy about breaking bad until about the third episode then I watched it pretty much non stop all the way through.

The Donna period of doctor who is definitely not my favorite period but if you liked Rose Tyler you're gonna love Amy Pond!

bigbaldguy

Sorry posting stuff as I think of it.

Jekyll (modern take on Hyde/jekyll)
Occupation (British mini series following the lives of a squad of UK soldiers in operation DS)

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
If you like history or period pieces, Downton Abbey is a fairly intelligent drama series.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Glee. I keep meaning to catch smash or whatever it is.

Walking dead.

Desperate Housewives

Alcatraz

Blue Bloods

I'll think of more.

I know this isn't your style but I have a current unhealthy and shameful obsession with dance moms and teen mom 2. It is so trashy I can't not watch.

Vetitas86

Forum Lieutenant
Dont get around to watching the 'tube much, so take my with an appropriately sized grain of salt.

Sons of Anarchy

Dexter

The BBC's Life on Mars

Southland

And I've heard good things about Once Upon a Time, haven't caught that one yet though.

bigbaldguy

Dont get around to watching the 'tube much, so take my with an appropriately sized grain of salt.

Sons of Anarchy

Dexter

The BBC's Life on Mars

Southland

And I've heard good things about Once Upon a Time, haven't caught that one yet though.

+1 for sons of anarchy

Life on mars was one of my favorites until the last episode. I'd love to vent about it but I don't want to ruin it for those that havent seen it.

MassEMT-B

Forum Captain
A show I got into last summer is Supernatural. It is a pretty good show with a decent amount of gore considering it is on I think the CW.