Any Flight Medics/RNs.

TornWingedAngel1

Forum Crew Member
Hey everyone.

So, I am currently in a CCT course. I have considered after I have some experience and such going the flight route, but this also appeals to me for other reasons as well. I am currently also in flight school working toward an aviation degree, and the idea of flying for an air ambulance company is also very appealing.

From everything I have found out so far, it seems being duel trained as both a pilot and a medic carries little to no weight. One of the big companies by me survival flight) seems be own by two different companies--an aviation side and a medical side--so they have different HR and everything. I've ears that's how Superior is, as well. So it seems like being both a pilot and a medic wont gain me anything professionally in that aspect.

Bt I'm just curious about if anyone who maybe works as an flight medic/RN can give me any personal insight to the field. What kinds of shifts do you work? I the pay as good as they is made out to be? I know d need to get a decent amount of ground experience before allowed to become a flight medic, does anyone have an suggestions on how to do that? (I was considering trying to Pply for some jobs on an ICU floor.) And how close to you guys get to the pilots? Do you guys know anything about their side of it?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

OP
OP
T

TornWingedAngel1

Forum Crew Member
Right. I know that. I'm asking more so about the medic side of it. (I made a thread on an aviation site about this to learn about the flying side of it.)

medwings

Forum Ride Along
Most places that I am aware of work 1 24 hr shift and 1 12 hr shift a week. That’s what my program does. It probably varies slightly from program to program but that is probably close to an industry standard.

The pay varies... It really depends on where you are, the type of program, and the competition. For a Paramedic, the pay probably ranges from $16-$35 per hour starting out. The northeast and west coast probably will, in general, be on the higher side of that range. However, it is still greatly dependent upon the type of program and the competition for that position. Programs that don’t offer as much job security will generally pay more... they have to in order to attract quality clinicians. Programs tied to big trauma centers or teaching hospitals might pay less because they can. It’s not unusual for there to be hundreds of qualified applicants for one position at those programs.

Most places will require a minimum of 3 years of experience to apply and that’s just to not get immediately eliminated. Obviously there are exceptions, but most have substantial experience at their level. Just get a job with a busy agency and pull your time. That’s really the only way. I’m not aware of ICUs that high Paramedics. But that’s not to say there aren’t any. However, some sort of time there and a CCU (volunteer, shadowing a doc, etc...) would be a good talking point in an interview. You would have real exposure to IABP, art lines, LVADs, ven trics, etc... all things you will be expected to know as a flight medic.

Getting close to pilots again probably varies by program and by the personality of the pilot. I know some programs where the pilot goes in his room and usually doesn’t associate much with the medical crew. In other programs, it’s the exact opposite. I have gotten close to all of our pilots, some more than others. It kind of happens naturally; after all you are putting your life in their hands every time you lift. And, they are putting their job in your hands too. If you do something stupid, they can get fired for it.

Some of the pilots are just more outgoing than others. Some love to teach about aviation. Others want to be left alone. It just depends. You will have to learn a lot about the aviation side. You will need to know your weather minimums, understand maps, latitudes and longitudes, altitudes, etc... You will have to do walk arounds before you lift making sure the aircraft is ready for flight, and you can’t make that determination without some knowledge. In addition, there is a great deal of flight physiology that affects your patient care, and you will be expected to know that.

I hope this answered your questions.