Any advice for a student?

CFDRescue45

Forum Ride Along
Hi all,

I'm new to these forums. I've been interested in the Fire Service for a number of years, and recently, I've realized that it's time for me to make a decision concerning what sort of a career path I'd like to take. A friend once told me that there was a place for everyone in the Fire Service, and I believe that my place involves the non-firefighting aspect of the field.

I'm currently in my second year at a Junior College. I chose a Business Major only because I wasn't aware of what all of my options were at the time that I enrolled in College. Now, though, I've realized that there are degree programs at school that may allow me to become involved in a field that I have a great amount of interest in.

We're moving to Texas this summer, and the local Community College (Brookhaven Community College in Farmers Branch, Texas) has an Emergency Medical Services-Emergency Medical Technician Basic Certificate program. (The web page for the program outline can be found at this link.) I was curious to get the opinions of those already involved in the field. Would this be a good place for me to start?

Any other advice would be much appreciated. Thank-you very much. :)

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
welcome CFDRescue45

are we to assume you'd like to use ems as a stepping stone to further something pertinent to a biz degree ?

~S~

OP
OP
C

CFDRescue45

Forum Ride Along
Stevo said:
welcome CFDRescue45

are we to assume you'd like to use ems as a stepping stone to further something pertinent to a biz degree ?

Thanks for the welcome. :)

I'm honestly not sure where the Business Degree will lead me. It was really a stepping-stone to get me into College. My dad was a Business Major, and so, I followed what he had done. I'm going to go ahead and complete my Associate's Degree in Business, but I'm not planning on going any further with it (at this time).

I'd like to make a shift in my education and concentrate in an area that I'm actually interested in pursuing a career in. I hope that makes sense!

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
yes it does, if your wish is to enter health care ems is a good place to start.

i've known many whom have done just that, and i'm fairly sure members here may have similar stories

~S~

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Welcome to EMTLife.com!!

I spent some time out your way in 2005. I lived in the Irvine/Tustin area for a couple of months.

You can't go wrong getting your EMT certificate. Get your EMT Cert, finish up your Biz Degree and you've laid a very nice foundation for yourself. Put a couple years on the road and become a supervisor or trainer.