Anti Vaxxers

Summit

Critical Crazy
It is not like a seatbelt...

Being unvaccinated is like having unprotected sex with everyone you meet. Hope they are clean... and that you are not asymptomatic contagious.

Summit

Critical Crazy
For the people who are vaccinated but still get the disease...

V0 = Q0/(C*P) = (R0-1)/(R0*C*P)

Say we assume a high C like 98% and a high P like 90%, well I expect ~20% of the infected in an outbreak to have been fully or partially vaccinated. In CA outbreak of measles, only 13% were partially or fully vaccinated... that is less than expected!!!

It is this new thing called math. http://allnurses.com/general-nursing-discussion/understanding-herd-immunity-973298.html

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Your gonna have to have to define those variables. I looked at your article but I dont remember

Summit

Critical Crazy
Your gonna have to have to define those variables. I looked at your article but I dont remember
C = seroconversion rate, percent of those vaccinated who become immune
P = percentage of the population we could be vaccinating
Q0 = Threshold of the population that has to be immune to achieve R<1
R0 = Number of secondary infections from one index case in a fully susceptible population
V0 = Minimum vaccination rate, of those we can vaccinate, to achieve herd immunity?

and I typo'd P=90% instead of p=98% because we (USA) have a V(actual) of just over 90 (91-92%) although some communities are much lower

OP
OP
samiam

samiam

Amazing Member
I wonder if there is a significant increase in meningitis lately? We all have Haemophilus B in our noses, I bet there is a increase in the amount of non HiB vaccinated Kids. Sorry mam, your child died 36 hours after getting symptoms because there was nothing we could do. Maybe if you had vaccinated him he would not have died. I NEVER want to have to say that to a patient/mother.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
I obviously don't think this holds truth ( see picture) but a lot of "anti vaxxers" are unfortunately feed bs from celebrity's, random stupid posts on facebook, etc.

Kind of like when people say " did you know gum stays in your stomach for ten years?" Then when you ask them where they learned that, it's always complete bs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 434

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I got extra vaccinations just to be sure.

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
Summit, how did you come upon the "Notes on R_0" document that is referenced in your article? Google? A biomathematics/epidemiology course?

Also, this guy has flow.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Summit, how did you come upon the "Notes on R_0" document that is referenced in your article? Google? A biomathematics/epidemiology course?

Also, this guy has flow.
Eh don't remember possibly some article's cited list.. . Or Google. It's a good piece!

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
So if I am a doctor, I HAVE to work extra hours and pay my staff overtime because my patients parents refuse to give them vaccines; but I can't refuse to treat them. Sounds like other issues with businesses right now.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
And anyone that thinks that not wearing a seatbelt doesn't affect anyone but themselves must not be married, have kids or have living parents or siblings. If you die in an auto accident it affects everyone who knows and/or loves you

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
So if I am a doctor, I HAVE to work extra hours and pay my staff overtime because my patients parents refuse to give them vaccines; but I can't refuse to treat them. Sounds like other issues with businesses right now.

No.

Legally, you can refuse to take these patients, and lots of offices do. It is, however, unethical to deny them access to healthcare entirely. Some would argue that you should keep them coming in so you can have more opportunities to educate them. And you don't have to pay overtime, just schedule as the last block of patients of the day.