Another Show About Paramedics: The Listener

iamtran

Forum Ride Along
Remind me to cry when NBC's Trauma comes on

What a HORRIBLE show.

Period.
Imagine when Trauma comes on. GOD . . . it's going to be great isn't it?
All our protocols will update with procedures on jumping out of burning helicopters.
When the show Trauma does comes on, we will all die a little . . . grrrreat

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
I like shows like this. They are hilariously ridiculous. Grey's Anatomy makes me happy - trauma will do the same. B) Tell me it wasn't the biggest lol on TV when Meredith had to hold the bomb still in that guy's chest.

SES4

Forum Lieutenant
Literally LOL'ed

Imagine when Trauma comes on. GOD . . . it's going to be great isn't it?
All our protocols will update with procedures on jumping out of burning helicopters.
When the show Trauma does comes on, we will all die a little . . . grrrreat

LMFAO. I love it. :) Truly it will be PHENOMENAL! Oh and I would LOVVEEE to jump outta' a burning bird. It would just make my day. LOL.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I hate fictional TV shows about EMS. Either they protray us as drug seeking, washed out med students or fire eating Ricky Rescuers.

The other reason is every time there is a major network t.v. show in my area EMS classes increase about 25-40%. The problem with that of course is they expect the television version and not the real life version. Most wash out the first week or two but still you have to deal with the ..... " I thought" .....statements.

R/r 911

SES4

Forum Lieutenant
Correct... Once again. :)

I hate fictional TV shows about EMS. Either they protray us as drug seeking, washed out med students or fire eating Ricky Rescuers.

The other reason is every time there is a major network t.v. show in my area EMS classes increase about 25-40%. The problem with that of course is they expect the television version and not the real life version. Most wash out the first week or two but still you have to deal with the ..... " I thought" .....statements.

R/r 911

You are completely correct Rid. The same goes for law enforcement and *gasp, dare I utter this profession here* Fire Fighting films and television shows. I am especially sick of FF and EMS shows and films though because as you stated they do not portray FF and EMS professionals in good ways at all generally.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief

R/r 911
I don't know which is worse: the Ricky Rescue wannabes or a class full of premeds. At least with premed students you can have the satisfaction of giving them a blemish on their transcripts when their attitude gets in the way during clinicals. This happened several times when I was a preceptor.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief

R/r 911

LOL, get a better selection process then. The fact that just anyone can sign up for an 'EMS course' on a whim, because they saw Trauma and wrote a check, is a bigger indictment on the field than these shows.:unsure:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
LOL, get a better selection process then. The fact that just anyone can sign up for an 'EMS course' on a whim, because they saw Trauma and wrote a check, is a bigger indictment on the field than these shows.:unsure:

Very true, something I have been an advocate for and those that know me is my passion of screening applicants. Alas though, education here is also a profitable one. If you don't accept them someone else will take their money. Administration may agree with your philosophy but be aware; when you ask for funding in your department, your enrollment better be equal to those competitors.

It is too easy to become a Paramedic in the U.S. As long one has a check and can read almost the 6'th grade level its pretty much a sure thing.

R/r 911

mmorsepfd

Forum Probie
Being a part-time writer I spent a year writing a screenplay based on my experiences. It is a character driven, true life portrayal of what we do. I'm meeting a producer/director on Tuesday, he's interested in the thing. Keeping fingers crossed he takes it seriously. On a positive note, his father is a 32 year veteran firefighter from providence, (ret) who finished his career as EMS chief.