Another Eye Question

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Hi all,

So I had a Pt today and they came to me complaining of blurred vision in the rt eye. Upon checking it i noticed a red vertical line behind the iris. pt reported no N/V or headache... any ideas at to what it could be... and possibly a pic so i can compare to it? thanks in advance.

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
Not sure based on the description...

...but here's what I found

Hyphema is a term used to describe bleeding in the anterior chamber (the space between the cornea and the iris) of the eye. It occurs when blood vessels in the iris bleed and leak into the clear aqueous fluid. Hyphemas are usually characterized by pooling of blood in the anterior chamber that may be visible to the naked eye. The red blood cells of very small hyphemas are visible only with magnification. Even the slightest amount of blood in the anterior chamber will cause decreased vision when mixed in the clear aqueous fluid.

Link: http://www.stlukeseye.com/Conditions/Hyphema.asp

Seems like the pooling of the blood could mix with clear aqueous fluid and be less pronounce or this red line, but I am no

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
Doesn't sound like a hyphema. The blood involved in a hyphema will pool dependant on gravity, so will usually fill the anterior chamber of the eye from the bottom. Hyphema is also a true emergency as the patient can easily lose their sight, so it is a good idea to have a good look at the pupils during your secondary survey. That said, in my own experience they are not that common. However I still look for them and septal hematomas and other fun things so I can avoid looking like a complete spanner.

search

OP
OP
DV_EMT

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
it definately wasnt hyphemia...

i'll let you know what i find... if i find it ^_^

OP
OP
DV_EMT

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
yeah... i was up all night trying to figure it out. I'll check with the eye center out here and see what they turn up.