Another driving record question...

Gimpy17

Forum Probie
I've got a record, and had a stint getting myself into trouble driving.

You are a moron.

History of criminal record, bad driving, and you like to call me names just because I disagree? Im glad we aren't partners:)

Again, yes I have sped and eaten while driving, but again everyone does that and I am not complaining about a speeding ticket, I am complaining about his entire history, multiple problems with his background, etc.

Public safety workers are held to a higher standard than the average citizen. Criminal record and 3 driving infractions is a problem to me, perhaps I'm in the minority but that's fine.

Thanks for the name calling, I've never been called a moron by a guy with a record.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
History of criminal record, bad driving, and you like to call me names just because I disagree? Im glad we aren't partners:)

Again, yes I have sped and eaten while driving, but again everyone does that and I am not complaining about a speeding ticket, I am complaining about his entire history, multiple problems with his background, etc.

Public safety workers are held to a higher standard than the average citizen. Criminal record and 3 driving infractions is a problem to me, perhaps I'm in the minority but that's fine.

Thanks for the name calling, I've never been called a moron by a guy with a record.

Apparently you weren't very good at your job...considering you got laid off per you older posts.

You just admitted to breaking the law. How many times have you done those things? I'd be willing to bet it's more than once. Get off the soap box.

Public Safety doesn't make you a superhero or better than anyone else. It's a job, nothing more. A way to pay the bills and support yourself and your endeavors outside of work. Work to live not live to work my friend.

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Also, I may have called you some mean names and I'm sorry if I hurt your feelers but who's the one who came into this thread singing at the top of their lungs about anyone with a record doesn't belong in public safety...generalize much?

Gimpy17

Forum Probie
Also, I may have called you some mean names and I'm sorry if I hurt your feelers but who's the one who came into this thread singing at the top of their lungs about anyone with a record doesn't belong in public safety...generalize much?

I'm good, no feelers hurt, the air is clear up on my soapbox. My statement referred to Record AND multiple moving violations. A pattern of problems. Any company for that matter should not hire drivers with multiple moving violations. Insurance would hate that like you mentioned and you open yourself up to major lawsuits if your driver is involved in an accident and you knew he had a bad driving record. The Walmart driver who just killed the man in New Jersey, I would hope if he is guilty or negligent he would not drive professionally again. (Not suggesting the poster did anything of this nature). I wouldn't hire an account with history of fraud or go to a dentist with a history of medical malpractice. Same thinking. Bad driving record = no driving job in my opinion.

Our company also had a death of an EMT in a ambulance accident and I am a victim of a hit and run that injured me severely and ended my career in the field. I am sensitive to wanting good quality drivers in the field.

Apparently you weren't very good at your job...considering you got laid off per you older posts.

I was good, promoted several times, clean record of no write-ups, disciplinary action, etc. It was a layoff, not a firing. Over 100 good employees lost their jobs.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Can people not change? Can they not realize a problem and take steps to fix it? I didn't realize a single period in your life with mistakes was the writing on the gravestone of your career. Again, I'll use myself as an example. My record would probably make most stop and do a double take. The fact of the matter is I changed, I did what I had to do to fix the things that were broken in my life and made the changes I needed to make and it's been 5+ years since I've had any issues and I plan on making it 55+ more. Why does my past define myself in the present?

Were you hurt because of your partners mistake or because of a mistake by the other driver? You yourself admitted you've driven distracted or sped. How does that make you any different than the guy that got caught? That's the thing you have not answered. Technically in most states a texting/calling while driving is a misdemeanor and not a moving violation. So you could have a speeding ticket and a texting citation and have a mark on your criminal and driving record....you're making a blanket statement to a situation that needs to be addressed as a case by case basis.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gimpy17

Forum Probie
Can people not change? Can they not realize a problem and take steps to fix it? I didn't realize a single period in your life with mistakes was the writing on the gravestone of your career. Again, I'll use myself as an example. My record would probably make most stop and do a double take. The fact of the matter is I changed, I did what I had to do to fix the things that were broken in my life and made the changes I needed to make and it's been 5+ years since I've had any issues and I plan on making it 55+ more. Why does my past define myself in the present?

Were you hurt because of your partners mistake or because of a mistake by the other driver? You yourself admitted you've driven distracted or sped. How does that make you any different than the guy that got caught? That's the thing you have not answered. Technically in most states a texting/calling while driving is a misdemeanor and not a moving violation. So you could have a speeding ticket and a texting citation and have a mark on your criminal and driving record....you're making a blanket statement to a situation that needs to be addressed as a case by case basis.

Well, like it or not some actions stick with you for a lifetime, poor choices in youth can and do haunt people for years and years. That's why we have prisons! Make a bad enough mistake and you go away forever. But congrats to you for making changes, seriously. Everyone changes throughout their life and it's great you changed for the better. But that's part of the price you have to pay if you have a record, it sticks with you.

I never said I'm different then the guy who gets caught, maybe just lucky I didn't get caught the few times I speed or eat. But I have an established record of good safe driving. I don't speed everyday, I never text and drive, I use my mirror and blinkers:) Maybe I'm simply a better driver and that's why I've never had violations? Maybe he has 3 violations because he's just a bad driver and if that's the case an ambulance may not be the best thing for him to drive around town in.

Again, I'm not single any one thing out in his case because yes, technically everyone has broken a traffic law...but his multiple violations AND record show a pattern of bad as opposed to a pattern of good.

I was hurt by mistakes of another driver. I was riding my motorcycle on the freeway in the carpool lane (70 mph in a 70mph zone). A vehicle crossed a double yellow no drive over zone and changed lines hitting up against me and knocking me off my bike. Vehicle did not stop or call 911. (4 major knee surgeries, 1 knee replacement at 30 years old and have lost 60% range of motion in my leg). Ended my career in the field and made me even more aware of the need for safe drivers.

This has been fun but I've had enough arguing with anonymous internet strangers for the night. I'm going to go watch Star Trek and eat some sushi dinner. You stay Handsome my friend and keep out of trouble:)

If the original poster ever responds or does get an EMT job, please drive safe, that's all I'll ask. I'm sure we all can at least agree on that!

marshmallow22

Forum Crew Member
Sure, many applicants have blemishes their record, but this is extreme.You make a mistake and learn from it... Not multiple mistakes and keep making them. This shows a pattern of immaturity and irresponsibility. EMS job openings for REPUTABLE departments have a large pool of qualified candidates w/o this kind of background. With a background like his I'd say a good 7-10 yrs of showing better decision making before applying.