And you thought that you had a weird day...?

FF/EMT Sam

Forum Lieutenant
I need to vent about my last 48 hours. A few of my calls:

--I have had three priority fours, including a twenty-something father of three found swinging from a tree. While the police held the attention of his kids, we cut him down before they saw him.

PS: Dispatch didn't tell us what was going on at this scene before we arrived on it. We mark on scene, expecting a 70 year old granny dead in bed, only to find our patient at the end of a sheet.

Another priority four got thrown out of a car, along with her four kids. She died at the scene, and her kids are in the ICU.

The other priority four was at least entertaining. This patient passed away while in a massage chair. As the medical examiner looked around the house, she stepped on the control for the chair. The patient started vibrating, the chair started humming, and the M.E. screamed and jumped about ten feet into the air. The ambulance crew tried to keep a straight face, but when the patient's friends started laughing through their tears, we lost all semblance of control. "That's his way of telling us to lighten up," said one of them.

I think that I would have liked this guy if I'd met him while he was alive.

--We had another patient with a brain tumor that made it impossible for him to comprehend his surroundings. He made repeated attempts at removing my arm from my body, and we ended up restraining him. :glare:

--Structure fire. Two buildings fully involved, with two monster-sized propance tanks, both leaking. That was scary.

--Difficulty breathing patient. Dispatch swore up and down that the patient was on "Two liters H2O via nasal cannula."

--Not my station, but the radio exchange was priceless:

Dispatch: "Station X, respond ambulance to (address) for urinary problems
Ambulance: "Medic X-1, go ahead"
Dispatch: "Station X, respond ambulance to (address) for urinary problems
Ambulance: Dispatch, you're coming in with bad reception. Repeat your traffic.
Dispatch: "PATIENT WITH URINARY PROBLEMS!"
Ambulance: "Apologies, but repeat that one more time"
Dispatch: "HE CAN't F:censored:ING PISS, YOU A:censored:HOLE!
<<Long pause>>
Ambulance: (slyly) "Repeat?"

OK, I'm finished venting. Tell me about your wildest shift.

Last edited by a moderator:

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Sam, I would say that is about the wildest 48 hours I have heard about to date! But at least you can still find humor in the daily routine of life. So you have got to tell me how did the big pow wow go with the shift superviser? You sound better, I hope you are!:)

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
And as far as that poor ME at the scene, PRICELESS! Where"s my Mastercard!:p :p :p

yowzer

Forum Lieutenant
Yesterday I watched my ambulance slide down an icy hill while nobody was in it. A little bit later I almost slipped and slid underneath it. That was mildly exciting. Haven't had any memorable calls for a while, though.

The guy in the massage chair is hilarious.

OP
OP
FF/EMT Sam

FF/EMT Sam

Forum Lieutenant
Sam, I would say that is about the wildest 48 hours I have heard about to date! But at least you can still find humor in the daily routine of life. So you have got to tell me how did the big pow wow go with the shift superviser? You sound better, I hope you are!:)

Thanks for asking. "Sarah" and I are working together again, and we're both still a little overly polite to each other, but most of the hard feelings have dissipated.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Wow.... sounds like SOMEONE is having fun!