Anatomy and quizzes

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
So it's my first week of EMT class and I've had trouble getting a clear answer out of my coworkers regarding what the quizzes are like. I mainly ask because the anatomy chapter is about 50 pages (I know that isn't much) but I could literally spend days going over this stuff while cross-referencing an anatomy book I have + youtube videos. Am I going to take a quiz and get like 10 anatomy questions?

I'm sure every class is different but I'm wondering how many questions can be on this stuff when the first quiz is on 5 chapters. Or is an EMT quiz actually 50 questions?

OP
OP
eprex

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
Oh boy you guys must hate me haha. I just want to say that I'm not asking how little I have to study but more so if I should spend hours upon hours getting everything down.

martor

Forum Crew Member
Study it ALL

My instructor had 25 question quizzes that were a paragraph long :glare:. So a pt info and then a question about what part of the body is affected. Study it all. Dont skip a thing. You will need every bit of it.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Quiz length really depends upon your instructor.

I would like to mention that this is the time to NOT skimp on studying anatomy and physiology. These subjects form the crucial foundation upon which the rest of your medical knowledge comes from.

OP
OP
eprex

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
I'd like to know everything like the back of my hand, especially if I get into medical school. I just have a quiz in a few days and I've spent about 2-3 hours on the first 10 pages of my anatomy chapter.

Maybe I'll just read straight through when I get to reproductive as I know most of that from Ta'ing endocrinology

Psychologist

Forum Probie
anatomy isnt that important for EMT-b. Im about 2/3 done with my class. Just know anterior postier ect ect when it comes to testing. I would pay much closer attention to assessment and care than anatomy.

But then again each school is different so do what ever you feel most comfortable with.

martor

Forum Crew Member
anatomy isnt that important for EMT-b. Im about 2/3 done with my class. Just know anterior postier ect ect when it comes to testing. I would pay much closer attention to assessment and care than anatomy.

But then again each school is different so do what ever you feel most comfortable with.

Psychology is right. You will need very little knowledge to pass the class. BUT once you will hit the field you will find nurses, doctors, and medic using the proper terminology :wacko:. Think ahead. You will NEVER learn something useless.

JPINFV

Gadfly

If you don't know your anatomy, then how do you know what you're assessing?

Psychologist

Forum Probie
because most of what you are assessing is basic knowledge or at least should be anyways. What im trying to say is that 50 pages of anatomy is not needed but useful. You could easily fit all you need to know into a page maybe even half a page. Also it isnt learned all at once so there is no need to feel pressured to do so. Anatomy is learned throughout the duration of the class.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
You could easily fit all you need to know into a page maybe even half a page.

...now if only EMTs would accept that this level of education puts them pretty much on the bottom of the medical hierarchy and pretty much without any reason to utilize any clinical judgement.

Psychologist

Forum Probie
Lol that is with regards to anatomy. And im not arguing the importance of educating yourself, but i believe OP was asking about testing in the class. Im taking anatomy and physiology next semester not because its needed for class but it is important.

Cup of Joe

Forum Captain
If you don't want to study anatomy, then you can probably get by on the quizzes and even the state test. But to be honest, some of people who pass the state test probably shouldn't be anywhere near a stethoscope.

You're not going to learn everything you want to know about anatomy from 50 pages. Learn some of the basics (terms like anterior/posterior, superior/inferior, medial/lateral, etc. and how to use them correctly, locations of chest and abd organs, location of bones like femur, tibia, fibula, humorous, radius, ulna, etc.), and you will build on that.

Ideally, you should be able to communicate with medical staff and not embarrass yourself.

OP
OP
eprex

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
If you don't want to study anatomy, then you can probably get by on the quizzes and even the state test. But to be honest, some of people who pass the state test probably shouldn't be anywhere near a stethoscope.

You're not going to learn everything you want to know about anatomy from 50 pages. Learn some of the basics (terms like anterior/posterior, superior/inferior, medial/lateral, etc. and how to use them correctly, locations of chest and abd organs, location of bones like femur, tibia, fibula, humorous, radius, ulna, etc.), and you will build on that.

Ideally, you should be able to communicate with medical staff and not embarrass yourself.

I was worried that I'd be inundated with all the material but crisis averted. The quizzes were pushed back since as usual a good portion of class didn't buy the book. After taking some online quizzes and reading the chapter it's really not much. I think I worried myself by supplementing with an actual anatomy book!

But I agree that it would be ideal to know the vocabulary in and out and actually use it in my reports. No reason not to set the bar high

leoemt

Forum Captain
because most of what you are assessing is basic knowledge or at least should be anyways. What im trying to say is that 50 pages of anatomy is not needed but useful. You could easily fit all you need to know into a page maybe even half a page. Also it isnt learned all at once so there is no need to feel pressured to do so. Anatomy is learned throughout the duration of the class.

Man, remind me not to get sick or injured where you work. Talk about a non-progressive system. Here the hospitals will pound Anatomy and Physiology into our heads and they do not dumb anything down for us. When we pick up a patient we get their chart and we are expected to know what is going on with the patient based on what we see in the chart. Granted, we are not expected to be doctors and the staff will clarify if we get something unusual, but it is the expectation that we are competent providers and can make decisions without handholding from the hospital.

Anatomy, Physiology and Pathology are the basis for what medicine is based on. If you don't understand those how are you going to treat a patient. Even something as simple as bandaging a wound requires a basic understanding of A&P.

I personally think A&P should be a prerequsite for EMTB.

Saying A&P is not important at the basic level is like saying scene safety isn't important. I hope for your sake that you will understand this once you get in the field. Maybe its just the standards we set for ourselves but we want strive to be on the same knowledge base as more advanced providers. Even if we can't perform the interventions, we owe it to our patients to have the highest standard of education possible.

Psychologist

Forum Probie
Man, remind me not to get sick or injured where you work. Talk about a non-progressive system. Here the hospitals will pound Anatomy and Physiology into our heads and they do not dumb anything down for us. When we pick up a patient we get their chart and we are expected to know what is going on with the patient based on what we see in the chart. Granted, we are not expected to be doctors and the staff will clarify if we get something unusual, but it is the expectation that we are competent providers and can make decisions without handholding from the hospital.

Anatomy, Physiology and Pathology are the basis for what medicine is based on. If you don't understand those how are you going to treat a patient. Even something as simple as bandaging a wound requires a basic understanding of A&P.

I personally think A&P should be a prerequsite for EMTB.

Saying A&P is not important at the basic level is like saying scene safety isn't important. I hope for your sake that you will understand this once you get in the field. Maybe its just the standards we set for ourselves but we want strive to be on the same knowledge base as more advanced providers. Even if we can't perform the interventions, we owe it to our patients to have the highest standard of education possible.

read my post after that please. If you arent going to bother reading all the posts then dont make such a stupid judgement.

il put it here so you wont miss it again...
"Lol that is with regards to anatomy. And im not arguing the importance of educating yourself, but i believe OP was asking about testing in the class. Im taking anatomy and physiology next semester not because its needed for class but it is important."

Im also taking microbio and chem 410.

OP
OP
eprex

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
I apologize for scaring everyone with this thread. I understand why there may have been a misunderstanding as I should have been more explicit in my initial postings.

Basically I was worried about the quiz that was supposed to be this last Tuesday and was trying to get a better understanding of what would have been expected of me on the QUIZ- not in the field.

Instead of deleting the thread I'm going to leave this up so anyone who saw and thought :unsure: can be reassured that I have no intentions of learning as little as possible and scrapping by as a "sufficient" EMT.

Turns out the anatomy needed for EMT is incredibly basic and I look forward to going beyond it all. I will take the tip of checking out the paramedic book in my headquarters and I have a basic anatomy textbook (and there's always youtube with the real life dissections!)

errey

Forum Crew Member
Anatomy is crucial to learn, you gain knowledge which will help with your understanding of everything else that you do in the class. Broadening on that knowledge is a great way to improve yourself and have a better understanding. When I was in school I didn't aim to just pass the quizzes and tests I aimed to ace them, so learning everything you can before a quiz or exam is a good idea. just my advice :)

EMTthealmost

Forum Ride Along
every school is very different :wacko:

is it me? or are these classes too fast? i have 2 classes a week 4 hours a piece. students had to purchase books with workbooks but all the material is online, testing, skill sheets, and reviews. In class we have lectures that are just wayyy to quick, no homeowrk at all (except read of course), and Labs.

I am overwhelmed by all the information

leoemt

Forum Captain

is it me? or are these classes too fast? i have 2 classes a week 4 hours a piece. students had to purchase books with workbooks but all the material is online, testing, skill sheets, and reviews. In class we have lectures that are just wayyy to quick, no homeowrk at all (except read of course), and Labs.

2 classes a week? Your lucky. My emt class was 3 nights a week 4 hours each and 8 hours on Saturday. 2 Chapters a night were covered and lots of Labs. Quizzes every day and tests every 3 weeks. 4 1/2 months long in total.

I can't even imagine how fast some of the advanced courses are.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief

No. 1 trick in education. Pre-read the material and the lectures if you get the slides.

In regards to anatomy the more you learn now the easier it will be later if you plan to go into paramedic, nursing, PA, MD/DO, respiratory therapy, etc school. The easier it will be in the field with any physical assessment.