Anaphylaxis!

phideux

Forum Captain
So in a nutshell, someone on a beta blocker having an anaphalactic reaction, and the Epi just ain't hitting it, Glucagon will help the Epi to do its job?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Cool!

As an atrial fib person, I'd appreciate anything other than epi! Even the epi in dental local anesthesia gives me even more tachy and palpitations, I can imagine an "Epipen" on board:wacko:.

vamike

Forum Crew Member
I love this site! I am constantly looking up def's of words. I had to look up urticaria. I feel so dumb:unsure:

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
So in a nutshell, someone on a beta blocker having an anaphalactic reaction, and the Epi just ain't hitting it, Glucagon will help the Epi to do its job?

Glucagon doesn't help epi do its job, it just works in a different way. It is able to accomplish these effects without using the beta-adrenergic receptor site.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
I had one of these which I posted about, mine was not as bad as yours. I did not think they required epi, but they got benadryl and solumedrol. Dr. gave .3mg Epi IM when we got there. 9y/o male.

jroyster06

Forum Crew Member
Almost but not quite.

Glucagon does increase the second messenger cAMP through stimulatory g-protein action on adenylate cyclase.

However it is not by way of beta 2 agonism as stated.

It is through activation of specific glucagon receptors which, although have similar intracellular effects to adrenergic receptors, cause different systemic responses mainly based on there varied expression.

This means that even in a hypothetical complete, irreversible and non-selective beta blockade glucagon is capable of causing an adrenergic type response. Describing it's effects as being "by way of beta 2 agonis(m)" is incorrect and could confuse people.

HE BEAT ME TO IT!!:sad::unsure:

Thats ok, he said it better than i could have lol.

jroyster06

Forum Crew Member
This website should help some people. I found it useful! I never thought about it in an asthmatic. Ive had 2 pts I've had to drop and tube and despite me throwing the book at both of them, ventilations with bvm & ett were tough. Neither one ever opened up during transport. I wonder if Glucagon would have made a difference. After reading this, I really wish my service carried more than the 1mg we do.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Holy necromancy batman.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

systemet

Forum Asst. Chief
cAMP is this adenosine monophosphate??

glycogen_regulation_cAMP.jpg

Technically it's cyclic adenosine monophoshphate, with a diester linkage (middle image). Read more here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclic_adenosine_monophosphate

octoparrot

Forum Probie
Only non-cardioselective beta-blockers?

KellyBracket

Forum Captain
Are most people's protocols still describing SQ epinephrine?

The standard of care, reflected in national guidelines, call for 0.01 mg/kg (max 0.5mg) intramuscular. The research showing that the IM route is preferable is pretty compelling. Google around for the "Second symposium on the definition and management of anaphylaxis:"

Around my neck of the woods, the ALS protocols dictate the IM route - got changed a number of years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief

The standard of care, reflected in national guidelines, call for 0.01 mg/kg (max 0.5mg) intramuscular. The research showing that the IM route is preferable is pretty compelling. Google around for the "Second symposium on the definition and management of anaphylaxis:"

Around my neck of the woods, the ALS protocols dictate the IM route - got changed a number of years ago.

Ours changed to IM a couple of days ago.

OP
OP
J

J. Burdett

Forum Crew Member

Still SQ :wacko:

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Ours has been IM for years now.

Likewise, I can't say I have ever seen it given subcutaneously. It sometimes get charted that way because medical professionals are often rather dense...

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
In my county we can only give epinephrine subcutaneously or IV. Deep IM is not authorized yet. I do not know if it is going to be authorized at all.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
We gave it SQ.

I can see where IM has some benefits, just don't get the bolus too near a nerve. I've seen sloughs where it was intra and not sub dermal, or into fat.

Is Susphrine still used?