AMR to Paramedics Plus in Alameda County

BayareaMedic

Forum Probie
Hm, just heard that they are using a priority dispatch system now so instead of sending ALS 100% of the time, they'll send an ambulance with EMTs on it to low priority calls. From what it has been described to me by some guys who work in ALCO fire, they say "there are some growing pains". Fire is a little upset they don't send the ambulance CODE 3 100% of the time, and they'll send a crew of EMTs CODE 2 to some calls while Fire is still sent CODE 3 to 100% of the calls as it was described to me.

I also hear that it is like an assembly line there where the crew gets off the rig, somebody makes sure to stock up the rig, and then the next crew goes on without checking the rig. On the side of the ambulance there is a container that they can give Fire stuff (e.g. nasal cannulas if Fire used it).

I hear they don't have O2 on their gurneys, which the guy I was talking with didn't sound too happy about. I actually haven't looked at their gurney, and I keep forgetting to take a glance, lol, so I can't confirm this.

I was told that Fire got to train on all of their equipment, but the EMTs/Paramedics from AMR got less training on it so sometimes Fire has to help them use it/figure it out.

That's what I was told by one medic/firefighter from ALCO Fire. He didn't sound like he liked him, but he described it as only "growing pain" and said he thinks Paramedic Plus will change for better once they learn "how things are down in ALCO" and "they don't realize how busy it is here". I cannot confirm any of this (except the gurney one, but haven't looked yet, and see if an ambulance is staffed with two EMTs, which I haven't seen yet).

Alot of what your saying is infact false. I'll lay a few of the rumors to rest.

They are using a priority dispatch system. As you know we get sent code 3 to some very rediculous calls, so with this new system we will get sent code 2 (not dual Emt, all units are staffed with 2 medics) tO the lower priority calls for 2 reasons. Number one is safety. There is no reason to go code 3 for any distnace for toe pain, and going code 2 to these calls gives us the ability to divert to a higher acuity call if need be. The no oxygen is true. There is no place to store it except on the rear of the gurney or between the patients legs. This is something that within the next year or so I foresee getting fixed but for now we have to improvise. Lastly about the training. The most interesting thing I find about what you heard is that the incumbent AMR work force claims that they didn't get enough training. I was apart of those training sessions and there was more then enough time. The problem was that the employees did not put any effort into learning. They were more worried about just showing up so that they could transisition versus actually learning. Now mind you this wasn't everyone, but the ones that complain the most are not the ones that took it seriously. All in all this is a great place to work in my opinion.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Ah, interesting. Thanks for clearing that up BayareaMedic. Want to clarify just one thing you said. You said "all units are staffed with 2 medics". Do you mean all units are staffed with at least 1 Paramedic? I know I've seen and talked with a couple of EMTs from ParamedicPlus.

BayareaMedic

Forum Probie
Yea sorry it's all dependent on what county level the paramedic is. If they are level 1 (new medics) they work with level 3 (more expierience).... Level 3 medics however can work medic/EMT units.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Hm, you seem like the perfect guy to answer this. I think every EMT saw that they opened up EMT positions to apply for online. Are they really hiring? Or are they just taking applications regardless?

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Thank you for all the information BayareaMedic. I'm sure it will be valuable for all of us who want in with 9-1-1 in ALCO. :)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
How are the protocols? Is it a lot of mother-may-I? I thought of applying there when I was finished with medic school but in my current situation it's looking promising for me to be promoted to medic at my current 911 job.

Plus idk how I'd fair in ALCO. I'm not a huge city person.

BayareaMedic

Forum Probie
Good idea. It's pretty safe to say that right now the hr department is a little overwhelmed. They will get back to you if you meet the qualifications for an interview.

Squad51

Forum Crew Member
Hm, just heard that they are using a priority dispatch system now so instead of sending ALS 100% of the time, they'll send an ambulance with EMTs on it to low priority calls. From what it has been described to me by some guys who work in ALCO fire, they say "there are some growing pains". Fire is a little upset they don't send the ambulance CODE 3 100% of the time, and they'll send a crew of EMTs CODE 2 to some calls while Fire is still sent CODE 3 to 100% of the calls as it was described to me.

I also hear that it is like an assembly line there where the crew gets off the rig, somebody makes sure to stock up the rig, and then the next crew goes on without checking the rig. On the side of the ambulance there is a container that they can give Fire stuff (e.g. nasal cannulas if Fire used it).

I hear they don't have O2 on their gurneys, which the guy I was talking with didn't sound too happy about. I actually haven't looked at their gurney, and I keep forgetting to take a glance, lol, so I can't confirm this.

I was told that Fire got to train on all of their equipment, but the EMTs/Paramedics from AMR got less training on it so sometimes Fire has to help them use it/figure it out.

That's what I was told by one medic/firefighter from ALCO Fire. He didn't sound like he liked him, but he described it as only "growing pain" and said he thinks Paramedic Plus will change for better once they learn "how things are down in ALCO" and "they don't realize how busy it is here". I cannot confirm any of this (except the gurney one, but haven't looked yet, and see if an ambulance is staffed with two EMTs, which I haven't seen yet).

I work for the "mother ship" or parent company of PP. We use a tiered dispatch system of P1,2,3 calls with P1 and P2 being "lights and sirens" and P3 being without. It's an extensive QA process and not always accurate, but for the most part works.

In response to how they turn around trucks, we do the same thing. It's called speed loading and it's brilliant if you have trustworthy VST's (vehicle service techs) doing the resupply of the bins. You can literally completely turn around a truck in under 20 minutes. And in a high performance system, time is money. We don't carry O2 "on" the cot, but instead carry and advanced airway kit that has a D-Cylinder. The airway bag goes in on EVERY call. As far as equipment goes, it's all top notch. Power cots (Stryker), LP 12's with full capabilities, On Board Mobile Gateway (OMG) to transmit 12-leads to the ED from the field, stair chairs, pedi-mates, KED, scoop, traction splints, tough books and the list goes on.

Hope this helps.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Sounds like if I ever decided to move to the bay and got lucky with a job I wouldn't have a problem.

It sounds extremely similar to what we do. P1-4, speedloads, airway setup, we don't transmit 12s and use Philips MRx monitors but who's counting?

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Sounds like if I ever decided to move to the bay and got lucky with a job I wouldn't have a problem.

It sounds extremely similar to what we do. P1-4, speedloads, airway setup, we don't transmit 12s and use Philips MRx monitors but who's counting?

Philips is the best, and transmitting is no good!

BeachMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Hearing through the grapevine from all my old buddies that heads' are starting to roll. (About 5 people fired recently)

Get your apps in now I guess!

During the transitional training one of P+'s go to lines was, "We have had over 900 people apply to work for us already!" Needless to say, that didn't go over will with the transitional AMR employees.

I still have a ton of friends in ALCO and I've heard the whole gamut of responses to how it is to work for them; from, "It's terrible" to, "It's alright. A paycheck is a paycheck." I have only had one buddy tell me he loves it but I think he has had a recent change of heart. However, the one consistent thing I have heard from everyone I have talked to is, "It's not like it was at AMR. A lot less fun."

We were a pretty close-knit for a big system. A bunch of "misfits". I doubt i'll ever have the fortune to work with a group as awesome as that one. Everything about AMR ALCO screamed street Medic, in both good ways and bad. I'm not sure the Texas company was ready for California culture: full sleeves, piercings, and alternative lifestyles. But what do I know? I didn't end up working for em. I admit to my bias. haha

Anyhow, it's a busy/burn out system and a great place to develop as a Medic. You get exposure to a city with California's highest violent crime rate. (For the gsw junkies)

The protocols are fairly progressive and you don't have to make much base contact at all. (Amiodarone drip for ROSC is the only base order I can remember off the top of my head.)

Also, I hear they just recently hired 50 people. So get your apps in with P+.

OR you could apply with Santa Cruz AMR. I hear we might be taking apps again soon :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Hearing through the grapevine from all my old buddies that heads' are starting to roll. (About 5 people fired recently)

Get your apps in now I guess!

During the transitional training one of P+'s go to lines was, "We have had over 900 people apply to work for us already!" Needless to say, that didn't go over will with the transitional AMR employees.

I still have a ton of friends in ALCO and I've heard the whole gamut of responses to how it is to work for them; from, "It's terrible" to, "It's alright. A paycheck is a paycheck." I have only had one buddy tell me he loves it but I think he has had a recent change of heart. However, the one consistent thing I have heard from everyone I have talked to is, "It's not like it was at AMR. A lot less fun."

We were a pretty close-knit for a big system. A bunch of "misfits". I doubt i'll ever have the fortune to work with a group as awesome as that one. Everything about AMR ALCO screamed street Medic, in both good ways and bad. I'm not sure the Texas company was ready for California culture: full sleeves, piercings, and alternative lifestyles. But what do I know? I didn't end up working for em. I admit to my bias. haha

Anyhow, it's a busy/burn out system and a great place to develop as a Medic. You get exposure to a city with California's highest violent crime rate. (For the gsw junkies)

The protocols are fairly progressive and you don't have to make much base contact at all. (Amiodarone drip for ROSC is the only base order I can remember off the top of my head.)

Also, I hear they just recently hired 50 people. So get your apps in with P+.

OR you could apply with Santa Cruz AMR. I hear we might be taking apps again soon :D

From the sounds of things, the Paramedics who worked for AMR and now are working for Paramedics Plus are having a hard time adhering to a standard of professionalism. Just because these are California Medics who engage in a "California Culture" in their off time, does not mean they can do the same and look the same while in Uniform. Paramedics Plus has a good rep. as far as large privates go, and they have a strict professional code of conduct compared to most other large privates as well.

Squad51

Forum Crew Member
PP does have a reputation of professionalism. As EMS professionals we should be just that. Regardless of where we work. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for laid back. But there's a time to work and a time to play. And I'm not speaking of anyone in particular, so don't get your feelings hurt. I'm just talking about EMS overall as a profession.

Last edited by a moderator:

beantown native

Forum Crew Member
paramedics plus

Paramedics Plus is here on the suncoast of Florida. They run a pretty neat system, I think. Here is the link to them in Pinellas county,( sunstarems) ....read up... it seems they did the same to AMR here too. I googled them and read alot. I am looking forward to working with them.

BeachMedic

Forum Lieutenant
From the sounds of things, the Paramedics who worked for AMR and now are working for Paramedics Plus are having a hard time adhering to a standard of professionalism. Just because these are California Medics who engage in a "California Culture" in their off time, does not mean they can do the same and look the same while in Uniform. Paramedics Plus has a good rep. as far as large privates go, and they have a strict professional code of conduct compared to most other large privates as well.

To me professionalism is providing everyone with competent,compassionate, and appropriate treatment. Regardless of sexual orientation, tattoos, or any other aspects of culture.

ALCO did a PHENOMINAL job of that. An EMS system that gave back to the community as well. (e.g. planting trees in East oakland, taking blood pressures and doing basic exams at churches, and having a community asthma team to educate lower income households on how to deal with their ASTHMA.)

I have nothing but respect for the people who work there no matter what patch they on their sleeve or color their shirt is.

Sure there are bad apples. But there are bad apples in every EMS system and every bakery, every bank, and every other line of work in existence.

Some people have a mighty high horse.