AMR Riverside

Mitchellmvhs

Forum Crew Member
For starters I’ve been with AMR for almost a year now and I’m currently in orientation for AMR Riverside as I just transferred from Doctor’s Ambulance in Orange County.

Any input on what to expect working in Riverside County? I’m looking to jump straight onto a 911 ALS Truck and I’m not entirely sure yet which zone I’m going to be working in. I live in south county, but I’ve been thinking about trying to get in the central or north zone as I’m trying to work in a higher call volume area for experience. Anyone have input on the average amount of calls for an ALS Unit? I’m coming from a pretty low call volume area as far as 911, so it’s definitely going to be an adjustment. I’m probably going to end up working graveyard as well because half my seniority was cut from transfer, but I actually prefer nights lol.

I also know I’m going to need to make sure to learn my mapping as I’m going to be driving for the most part and if there’s any resources for learning the hospitals that anyone could point me to I’d really appreciate it. I plan on using a day off to drive to all the hospitals in my area to make sure I know where they are.

Last edited:

Jn1232th

Forum Captain
Are you going to be an EMT or
Medic? I work in San Bernardino county as a medic, which so far I like. Good calls and chill co workers/sups. As for emts, my division puts all emts through FTO training on a 911 rig, but then they go to a BLS unit/IFTs until a als EMT spot opens up.
as a medic, you’ll be put straight on 911 and Riverside I believe is the same.

calls wise I average 7-8 in a 12 hour shift. Most are pretty straight forward with occasional transfer.

hospitals you have I believe four main ones in riverside area. Corona regional in corona, park view ( I think it’s called) in riverside, riverside community which is also a level 2 trauma and loma linda as the main level one trauma center

I wouldn’t be to worried on mapping, since most the calls are routed by gps on the CAD/Tablet, but definitely get used to the main roads/freeways/etc.

OP
OP
Mitchellmvhs

Mitchellmvhs

Forum Crew Member
Medic? I work in San Bernardino county as a medic, which so far I like. Good calls and chill co workers/sups. As for emts, my division puts all emts through FTO training on a 911 rig, but then they go to a BLS unit/IFTs until a als EMT spot opens up.

calls wise I average 7-8 in a 12 hour shift. Most are pretty straight forward with occasional transfer.

hospitals you have I believe four main ones in riverside area. Corona regional in corona, park view ( I think it’s called) in riverside, riverside community which is also a level 2 trauma and loma linda as the main level one trauma center

I wouldn’t be to worried on mapping, since most the calls are routed by gps on the CAD/Tablet, but definitely get used to the main roads/freeways/etc.
I’m an EMT! They told me when I interviewed for transfer that we can jump straight onto an 911 ALS as long as it’s available. My goal is to only bid for ALS shifts and if There’s none there’s the main shift bid in June. It’s good to know that the mdt/ cads actually work lol. My previous ops didn’t have many rigs with mdts so they expected us to know routing and made us learn the Thomas guides.

Jn1232th

Forum Captain
I’m an EMT! They told me when I interviewed for transfer that we can jump straight onto an 911 ALS as long as it’s available. It’s good to know that the mdt/ cads actually work lol. My previous ops didn’t have many rigs with mdts so they expected us to know routing and made us learn the Thomas guides.
Definitely recommend getting to know the area cause they don’t route as well as they should, but unit I’m on doesn’t even have a Thomas guide haha.
And that’s cool though that they are keeping part of your seniority

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

Riverside division has many additional hospitals that are not on your list. RUHS (level 2 trauma and pediatric), Riverside City (level 1 trauma), LLUMC-Murrieta, Temecula Valley, Inland Valley, Corona Regional, Kaiser MoVal, Kaiser Riverside, Menifee Global, Parkview, and Rancho Springs.

OP
OP
Mitchellmvhs

Mitchellmvhs

Forum Crew Member
Riverside division has many additional hospitals that are not on your list. RUHS (level 2 trauma and pediatric), Riverside City (level 1 trauma), LLUMC-Murrieta, Temecula Valley, Inland Valley, Corona Regional, Kaiser MoVal, Kaiser Riverside, Menifee Global, Parkview, and Rancho Springs.
I know most of those but there’s definitely a few on there I need to learn. I haven’t done the routing portion of my orientation yet so I’m sure to learn a lot more. I appreciate the list a lot though! I’ll definitely make it a point to learn those.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I know most of those but there’s definitely a few on there I need to learn. I haven’t done the routing portion of my orientation yet so I’m sure to learn a lot more. I appreciate the list a lot though! I’ll definitely make it a point to learn those.
Those are just the closest hospitals in your area. You will also learn the common out of county hospitals, in and out of county psych facilities, and other hospitals that are still in Riverside county but out of your normal response area like Hemet Valley, San G, Desert Regional, Eisenhower.

As an EMT you will be driving 90-100% of the time, depending on your partner.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
have fun with it! learn whatever you can. AMR operations vary wildly as I too am finding out. been pretty happy with the gig I got up here in a Northern California area. was very surprising.

congrats!