Ambulance license

Ediron

Forum Crew Member
When you go to the DMV
do you need to take the emt county card and the live scan???

or can I just take the live scan??

street_shark

Forum Probie
hm. it seems to depend on where your at. here in dallas, you just go to city hall, pay 40 bucks for a background check, take a defensive driving, go back and take a picture and thats it.

Angel

Paramedic
you only need to be an EMT to renew your Ambulance License so yes, bring your livescan.

Danson

Forum Crew Member
No county card is necessary to present to the DMV??

Only Live scan and medical exam? correct

No, you NEED your county card!

Danson

Forum Crew Member
That is what it says on the DMV site, but I just got mine 2 weeks ago and they asked to see my county certification. :)

JPINFV

Gadfly
...because if you show it they won't ask when you renew it.

juxtin1987

Forum Crew Member
...because if you show it they won't ask when you renew it.

You have up to 1 year to obtain Basic Cert with an ambulance license so technically you don't need it when applying for the ADL but, as JPINFV mentioned, if you have it already, you might as well bring it with you and get it on there now.

gicts

Forum Lieutenant
Never knew such a thing existed!

emtCourt31

Forum Crew Member
The process here in Cali is as follows.
National Registry
County Card (you need a livescan, $40, and application)
DMV (livescan, $25, and medical forms)
DOT......"Department of Transportation", this you do once your employed with a company, you need this before you can start actually driving ($161, county cards, DL, Ambulance DL, medical green card, and forms from your employer)

I just completed everything today, took about two weeks to do everything. PHEW

Last edited by a moderator:

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
The process here in Cali is as follows.
National Registry
County Card (you need a livescan, $40, and application)
DMV (livescan, $25, and medical forms)
DOT......"Department of Transportation", this you do once your employed with a company, you need this before you can start actually driving ($161, county cards, DL, Ambulance DL, medical green card, and forms from your employer)

I just completed everything today, took about two weeks to do everything. PHEW

The dot card is only for la and also I believe city of glendale

JPINFV

Gadfly
Well... there's two different "DOT" cards. There's the LACo "DOT" card which you get when you get hired (I think, I've never needed it). The other "DOT" card is the green wallet card verification that your physician signed off on your health for the purposes of driving.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
Well... there's two different "DOT" cards. There's the LACo "DOT" card which you get when you get hired (I think, I've never needed it). The other "DOT" card is the green wallet card verification that your physician signed off on your health for the purposes of driving.

Oh, didn't realize that green card was called dot. I own NEMT for 10 years and never knew that The laco dot is only if you work in city of la, not sure if you get something from county when you work in uncorporated area as i never had to deal with them yet.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
The green card requires you get a DL51 completed. The DL51 meets the requirements of the DOT/FMCSA for an interstate CDL hence why the green card is called a "DOT" card.

Last edited by a moderator:

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
The green card requires you get a DL51 completed. The DL51 meets the requirements of the DOT/FMCSA for an interstate CDL hence why the green card is called a "DOT" card.

Thx for that explanation, learn something new everyday.