Ambulance Drivers

H33

Forum Probie
Does anyone else still have ambulance drivers? I don't mean EMR's, EMT's I mean cpr and an EVOC class.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Theres a volunteer ambulance in California Hot Springs, CA (Tulare Co.) that is strictly a driver (CPR and no EVOC) and 1 EMT.

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
Plenty of them around the volly agencies and the scattered IFT companies.

OP
OP
H33

H33

Forum Probie
I did not even know it was still a thing in my state, had not seen one in years, but here I sit at a service that does not seem to hire EMT's, we have paramedic and driver or AEMT and driver and that's it, And this is not IFT or Volunteer this is straight up single provider 911.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Well that's one way to cut costs. There is a service near me that employs a couple of full time medics and relies on volunteers for the remainder of their staffing. They still have some "driver only" people, but they aren't paid members.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
A few of the departments in my area actually pay CPR/EVOC driver only staff, and plenty of them will use volunteer drivers who aren't EMTs.

I truly can't figure out the utility of paying someone to only drive, but I don't really mind a volunteer driver only (insofar as I totally disagree with volunteer EMS, but I digress).

OP
OP
H33

H33

Forum Probie
I don't have any particular grudge with volunteer EMS, years ago before I decided that I hated being poor I would even give a little of my time in such an endeavor, what kills me here is two fold one we get plenty of licensed experienced EMT applicants but alas we hire almost exclusively drivers. Then we compound this by paying them well enough that they never do anything more.

adamNYC

Forum Lieutenant
We have them at our volly

Came in handy when the driver deployed us EMTs we jumped over a barrier to an mva while the ambulance drove around and met us on the other side

My issue with drivers is they don't drive an ambulance for a living, and the only experience these drivers are getting is through the volly.

that's why I like to drive when I'm volunteering.