Ambulance Drivers Licence Test in CA question

Noel

Forum Ride Along
I'm 19 years old and was wondering if I still need to take the Physical Ambulance Drivers test after passing the written test at the dmv. I'm very eager to start working as an EMT, but during EMT class I remember hearing that you can't even drive an Ambulance till your 21. Is this true? And if so, would it be harder for me to find work?

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
DMV doesn't administer an actual ambulance driving test. They give you a written exam and if/when you pass, you get your interim license (have to produce an EMT state licensure within 12 months, otherwise it'll expire). Given and all the paperwork is submitted and approved by the DMV, that license has the same expiration period as your regular driving license. I am not sure about the age limit for driving an ambulance, this is something you'll have to ask the chaps @ the DMV for.

wtferick

Forum Captain
No need of being 21. More rather if the company you apply to hires anyone under the age of 21.

cruiseforever

Forum Asst. Chief
Why does California require an ambulance driver license? Does it make the public safer? Is it an extra revenue source for the state? I just find it interesting on all the turf battles and regulations there are in California.

squirrel15

Forum Captain
Go take the written test at DMV and then apply. If we knew an area, we could provide examples of companies who hire under 21

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Why does California require an ambulance driver license? Does it make the public safer? Is it an extra revenue source for the state? I just find it interesting on all the turf battles and regulations there are in California.
Because CA is liberal which equals bigger government to hold everyone's hand to "solve" all their problems which means extra regulations like being forced to pay to take an extra test every couple years that doesn't actually teach you anything about driving an ambulance :rolleyes: