Ambulance crashes into disabled vehicle on I5 median after falling asleep, with video

Rialaigh

Forum Asst. Chief
I've said it before and I will say it again: 48s are great for slow stations, when you average 6+ hours of sleep a night. 24s are great for slow stations, and ok with medium stations (3-6 hours of sleep time, preferably in a bed). 12s are ideal for busy stations, but staff needs to remember to sleep before and after work, and realize they are expected to work at 100% functioning for 12 hours straight and shouldn't expect to get any sleep. 8s just suck for EMS, who wants to go to work 5 days a week anyway?

Basically this

One of the stations at the service I work at averages 3 calls a shift. You can go to bed whenever you like, we dont post, and its easy to work a 48 or 72. You have a full kitchen, showers, laundry facility....if you are "slammed" you might run 6 calls in a 24 hour period...

There is no fix it all solution. If providers are miserable at their job the problem will fix its self, I see no reason to regulate it. We flat out aren't killing a crazy number of people in ambulance wrecks or with poor provider care due to sleep that would be fixed by shortening shifts.