ambulance accident

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Are the employees respecting the patient privacy of their co-workers? Even if they are not the patient caregivers directly, they do have some obligation to protect their co-workers' rights. They may be receiving privileged information that is not meant for the general public out of respect for the patients and their families.

OP
OP
firecoins

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Are the employees respecting the patient privacy of their co-workers? Even if they are not the patient caregivers directly, they do have some obligation to protect their co-workers' rights. They may be receiving privileged information that is not meant for the general public out of respect for the patients and their families.

Sorry. Patient privacy is non existant on this one. Its pretty much non existant on all ems related medical issues. Everyone knows the victims. Kind of hard to keep privacy in such cases.

Police gave out names once families were notified and the extent of the injuries known at that time to the local media.

Keep in mind, none of the Regional employees treated any of the victims. They went to the hospital as visitors. They non managers went as friends. Non employees in the EMS community also went as visitors. Everyone want to know how they are doing. Word gets around.

Some were in the elevator in uniform when a the surgeon walked in and on his cellphone and said he had "hack some girl's arm off, some EMT"

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
firecoins

firecoins

IFT Puppet

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
First, my thoughts are with both of the EMTs right now.

Second, it never makes sense to post personal information on this site. When these folks get out of the hospital and google their name, EMTLife will show up at the top of the list, and they will be able to see what you post. Some of our members find themselves in legal trouble because of what they post online.

Be careful.

OP
OP
firecoins

firecoins

IFT Puppet
First, my thoughts are with both of the EMTs right now.

Second, it never makes sense to post personal information on this site. When these folks get out of the hospital and google their name, EMTLife will show up at the top of the list, and they will be able to see what you post. Some of our members find themselves in legal trouble because of what they post online.

Be careful.
1. their names are not mentioned anywhere n this thread.

2. The media has published their names. If you wish to warn Gannett Suburban Newspapers and Cablevision about a possible lawsuit, I will get you contact information.

OP
OP
firecoins

firecoins

IFT Puppet

Be careful.

Let me address this further.

1. I haven't posted anything that i would be ashamed of. I hope to be involved in raising money for their recovery. In fact I hope this accident is used as a learning tool to prevent further accidents.

2. Several forums have posted this accident and links to published articles. Almost all the articles mention the 2 EMTs by name and the extent of the injuries.

3. The Clarkstown Police released the names of the 2 EMTs to the public and Gannett Suburban Papers and Cable Vision published them. They are the ones who would get sued. I am fairly certain they wont but if they do, they have nice sized legal depts. ready to go.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
While this is certainly news, and the public has a right to know, some information presented here may not come from information available to the general public via recognized news sources or press releases.

It has happened several times in the past, where somebody comes to the CL's and demands that a post or thread be removed because of these reasons. This is despite the fact that the information posted here as news is always taken from another source. We've even been threatened with legal action because we've discussed a news story and the person didn't agree with our discussion.

We're just asking that any information presented in these type of stories only come from published news sources, and not inside information that could get you or us in trouble.

RWC130

Forum Probie
Thoughts and Prayers are with the Regional EMS crew involved in the
horrible Ambulance Accident.

With all due respect let's NOT Monday morning quarterback the incident
and keep them in our Prayers.

Keep in mind.... It could have been anyone of us here on EMTLife
in that Ambulance.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Thoughts and Prayers are with the Regional EMS crew involved in the
horrible Ambulance Accident.

With all due respect let's NOT Monday morning quarterback the incident
and keep them in our Prayers.

Keep in mind.... It could have been anyone of us here on EMTLife
in that Ambulance.

While my heart goes out to the injured, we need to be mindful that critique and evaluation of fleet accidents are an integral part of a quality improvement program. Most transport related industries are regulated in some way, EMS is not. If the government will not regulate and improve the industry, we must rely on ourselves to do so. As with improvement of education, many organizations refuse to, thus allowing a continuous unsafe environment.

Every fleet accident that occurs at my agency is presented at our quarterly meeting and discussed in detail. We review the drive cam footage and identify the human error and hazardous attitudes that are usually the sole causative agent. We do so to correct and PREVENT future incidents.

I completely disagree with your final statement. That would not be me as I would never allow any of my attendants or drivers to be screwing around with an IPod or anything else that would deter their focus while driving. Communication and enforcement of safe practices are key and I personally have zero hesitation implementing both. Bottom line, I'm going home to my family at the end of my shift, no partner will change that because he / she wants to do something unsafe..............................

OP
OP
firecoins

firecoins

IFT Puppet
updated info found on emsclosecalls.com reguarding the condition of one of the 2 EMTs

UPDATE ON REGIONAL EMS EMT - RECEIVED VIA EMAIL
Thursday, April 17, 2008

Before reading what I am going to post about the updates regarding ******, I
want everyone to know that all of the information that I have was either
provided to me by ******** mother or one of two people who are like family to
her.

******* was aware on Tuesday that her right arm had to be amputated due to
the extent of damage suffered in the accident. It goes without saying that when she was told that her arm was gone, she became very upset.

They gave her a CT scan which revealed fractures in C4 & C5 vertabrae along
with some swelling and damage to her spinal cord. They put a halo on her to
manage these fractures. The damage to her spinal cord has caused her to not be
able to move her legs, but I was told that she is starting to get some
sensation back below her waist.

This is the most recent information that I have available for everyone.
****** has a very long road ahead of her and she is going to need ongoing
continuous support from all of her family, friends, co-workers and members of the EMS community. She is a strong brave and heroic young lady who will not give up on herself.

Please continue to keep ****** in your thoughts, hearts & prayers. You can
also show your support for her by attending the blood drive that will be held
this Friday at the Florida FD from Noon-2000 hrs and by making donations to
the RPS/Regional EMS Benevolent Fund. _http://www.rps10-13.com/_
(http://www.rps10-13.com/)

(NAME REMOVED BY REQUEST)
I removed the names of those directly involved. While these names are in the media, they should be left in the media.

jordanfstop

Forum Lieutenant
For all of those saying things about how the driver was going fast please read:

{Raymond} Florida {Head of Regional EMS} said he doesn't know what caused the crash and he was leaving the determination up to the police. He said the rig was monitored for speed. He said the electronic monitor indicated the vehicle didn't exceed the speed limit of 45 miles per hour along that section of Route 59.

"I know they were within the speed limit," Florida said. "We're cooperating with the investigation. We will let the professionals with the police determine what happened. Our main concern remains our people."

Reference here: http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008804180377

For those starting rumors saying that the driver was playing with an iPod while driving:

Leave rumors at the door. We're not accident investigation. We should emanate exactly what Ray Florida said, "We will let the professionals with the police determine what happened. Our main concern remains our people"

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Ambulance driver caused crash

Cops: Ambulance driver caused crash in which N.Y. EMT lost arm
By Steve Lieberman
The Journal News
Copyright 2008 The Journal News

http://www.ems1.com/ems-products/am...driver-caused-crash-in-which-N-Y-EMT-lost-arm

WEST NYACK, N.Y. — A Regional EMS ambulance driver caused caused the accident in which he suffered broken bones and his partner lost her right arm, Clarkstown police said today.

The driver, Scott Millar, 19, of Haverstraw, took his eyes off the road and thought another vehicle was entering his lane, causing him to veer to his right into a flatbed truck parked on the shoulder of Route 59, police said.

The Clarkstown Accident Investigation Unit found that "driver inattention" led to the accident on April 14, Clarkstown Sgt. Harry Baumann said.

The investigators interviewed Millar, other witnesses and calculated the speed of ambulance and other physical evidence.

"The driver was looking at his GPS (global positioning system) and through his peripheral vision thought another car was coming into his lane," Baumann said. "He swerved sharply to the right and hit the truck."

Baumann said no summonses have been issued or charges filed.
http://www.ems1.com/ems-products/am...driver-caused-crash-in-which-N-Y-EMT-lost-arm

OP
OP
firecoins

firecoins

IFT Puppet