Am I ready ???

Ms.Medic

Forum Captain
So now having passed my exam, Im left with LOTS, and I mean LOTS of thoughts today.

I kinda feel like theres sooooooo much out there that I dont know yet, and am I reeeally ready to do this. Is this a normal feeling I wonder ? I feel pretty confident that I "know my stuff" to a degree, and before I passed, I was so gung ho about doing it "on my own", but what about all the stuff that I dont know. What if its that one patients condition, or that illness, or medication that I dont know something about. I feel kinda scared in a way.

Do you think this is normal, or is it my mind telling me something.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
Yes it is normally to feel not confident. Almost no person coming straight from class will not feel confident about they can perform in every situation. It is a continuing learning process, and hopefully you can continue to work with a preceptor until you feel like you can get it a bit more. It is also true that you probably have anxiety and are doubting your skills. So just get out into the field and get practice.

OP
OP
Ms.Medic

Ms.Medic

Forum Captain
Yes it is normally to feel not confident. Almost no person coming straight from class will not feel confident about they can perform in every situation. It is a continuing learning process, and hopefully you can continue to work with a preceptor until you feel like you can get it a bit more. It is also true that you probably have anxiety and are doubting your skills. So just get out into the field and get practice.

Pheeew, lol. Thank you for those words.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
I too, am a new medic.
I am lucky enough to have gathered a lot of BLS experience, and had excellent preceptors at my job.
If you don't feel comfortable after your preceptor thinks that you are ready, speak up, and let it be known that you want more time.

OP
OP
Ms.Medic

Ms.Medic

Forum Captain
I too, am a new medic.
I am lucky enough to have gathered a lot of BLS experience, and had excellent preceptors at my job.
If you don't feel comfortable after your preceptor thinks that you are ready, speak up, and let it be known that you want more time.

Oh I would definetly not cut myself loose, unless I felt 100 % ready. I have no problem saying that I dont know something, or Im not ready for something. Did you ever have that feeling ? at all ?

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Oh I would definetly not cut myself loose, unless I felt 100 % ready. I have no problem saying that I dont know something, or Im not ready for something. Did you ever have that feeling ? at all ?

Yup. I requested another month, just to get as comfortable as I could get.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
What if its that one patients condition, or that illness, or medication that I dont know something about. I feel kinda scared in a way.
Welcome to the club. I still feel that way after three degrees and thirty-six years of practice.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
So now having passed my exam, Im left with LOTS, and I mean LOTS of thoughts today.

I kinda feel like theres sooooooo much out there that I dont know yet, and am I reeeally ready to do this. Is this a normal feeling I wonder ? I feel pretty confident that I "know my stuff" to a degree, and before I passed, I was so gung ho about doing it "on my own", but what about all the stuff that I dont know. What if its that one patients condition, or that illness, or medication that I dont know something about. I feel kinda scared in a way.

Do you think this is normal, or is it my mind telling me something.

I was beginning to wonder if I was supposed to worry about you or not, because I honestly did not know. Now I know. I am not going to worry about you. You're going to be just fine.

HNcorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
got get out there and just do it... i had those feelings to when i passed my test... unfortunately no private ambulance co. would take me because i was under 21 at the time... haha

so i joined the navy, and about a year and a half later i have done countless IVs, countless blood draws, handed out medications, documented PT records... one thing about the military is that pretty much everything you learn is OJT!!! i remember in corps school we watched someone do an IV, we did one, and we taught one.. after that we "new" and were "qualified" to do IVs and it was off to the fleet... they jsut expect you to learn it over time, even if you are doing it for your second time on a real Patient!!!

anyways what im getting to is that the only way to actually learn to be a good EMT, is to jsut get out there and DO IT!!! you WILL make mistakes (hopefully not anything bad) but you will learn from them and you will never make them again...

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Hopefully, you will have a Field Training Officer and mentor program to be sure you arecut loose, when and only when you are truly ready.

R/r 911

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Wondering if you are ready and prepared may or may not be 'normal' but it does imply that you set a standard of performance for yourself. It's called a work ethic and integrity. Good for you!

OP
OP
Ms.Medic

Ms.Medic

Forum Captain
Wondering if you are ready and prepared may or may not be 'normal' but it does imply that you set a standard of performance for yourself. It's called a work ethic and integrity. Good for you!

Awwww, well thank you, very much for that compliment !!!