Am I foolin myself

smvde

Forum Crew Member
Gut feeling, NO DICE.

The DUI kills you in just about any service I'm aware of.

I've seen job ads that have the disclaimer at the bottom.

"DUI need not apply"

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
on a side note. anyone been a medic in the military? and are you working in the same field when you got out?
Yes and yes.

The only chance that you have is getting on with an unscrupulous, fly-by-night private provider who doesn't check records, doesn't observe state requirements, and probably doesn't have adequate insurance. And even then, it won't last long before they -- and you -- get busted for it. It is simply not worth your time or efforts to try and scam the system.

The way you reveal yourself, and both ask for and accept brutal honesty, says good things about you. I'm sure you're a capable person who could probably contribute positively to our field. And having worked construction some myself, I know the reckless culture that exists in that field, so mistakes happen. But the honest truth is that you are not going to get a real EMS job. It's not going to happen. I'd keep swinging the hammer and saving money until many more years pass and the possibility again comes around. Good luck.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Honest no BS, right now as they said you will not get hired.

Now, some honest no BS advice. Call up the DA responsible for the DUI ticket, call up the judge that presided over the hearing (I'm assuming you had one but a judge should be assigned even if you didn't) and set up a face to face meeting with each of them. Walk into the meeting in a suit and tie, type out some thoughts about why how you've matured since then, explain the guilt you feel about it even though it was a very slightly questionable situation, explain your life goals now (EMT) and why you think you're adult enough to achieve these goals, explain how this conviction is preventing you from being employable as an EMT and offer to meet any requirements they put forth (probably a safe driving course) in order to get the DUI off your record. If the list is any less than 3 pages in length you're wasting your time, give it more effort than that this is your career on the line. When you walk into the office have 2 copies of that, hand one to them and keep one for yourself and use that to guide your thoughts through the conversation. Believe me if you try to free flow the conversation the lawyer will run you over like a freight train, having your thoughts written out in front of you will guide you through it.

I am not adequate to provide professional legal advice but I have used step by step the above approach (never with a DUI though) when I made some bad choices and I now qualify for the good driver bonus on my insurance.

After you have that done you are slightly more hireable but still 2 speeding tickets in a 1 year period will be no cake walk. The best advice is to slow down, wake up earlier whatever you gotta do to quit getting speeding tickets. My company won't hire you if you have more than 3 tickets in the last 5 years or more than 1 in the past 12 months.

OP
OP
P

Pierogi

Forum Probie
Yes and yes.

The only chance that you have is getting on with an unscrupulous, fly-by-night private provider who doesn't check records, doesn't observe state requirements, and probably doesn't have adequate insurance. And even then, it won't last long before they -- and you -- get busted for it. It is simply not worth your time or efforts to try and scam the system.

The way you reveal yourself, and both ask for and accept brutal honesty, says good things about you. I'm sure you're a capable person who could probably contribute positively to our field. And having worked construction some myself, I know the reckless culture that exists in that field, so mistakes happen. But the honest truth is that you are not going to get a real EMS job. It's not going to happen. I'd keep swinging the hammer and saving money until many more years pass and the possibility again comes around. Good luck.

Unfortunately no one is paying to swing a hammer now days. I might be able to find non-union work with a polish contractor but that can get me blacklisted from the union. I just figured i'd try to put another trade under my belt while constructions slow. I'm sure you know how off and on it is. can't rely on it soley to make a living.

About the military. I'm sure you got adequate experience. You think it's a good idea to get my foot in the door that way? if i can get that job that is. The way i look at it is killing two birds with one stone. I'd work as amedic and when i got out enough time should have passed to validate my record.

OP
OP
P

Pierogi

Forum Probie
Honest no BS, right now as they said you will not get hired.

Now, some honest no BS advice. Call up the DA responsible for the DUI ticket, call up the judge that presided over the hearing (I'm assuming you had one but a judge should be assigned even if you didn't) and set up a face to face meeting with each of them. Walk into the meeting in a suit and tie, type out some thoughts about why how you've matured since then, explain the guilt you feel about it even though it was a very slightly questionable situation, explain your life goals now (EMT) and why you think you're adult enough to achieve these goals, explain how this conviction is preventing you from being employable as an EMT and offer to meet any requirements they put forth (probably a safe driving course) in order to get the DUI off your record. If the list is any less than 3 pages in length you're wasting your time, give it more effort than that this is your career on the line. When you walk into the office have 2 copies of that, hand one to them and keep one for yourself and use that to guide your thoughts through the conversation. Believe me if you try to free flow the conversation the lawyer will run you over like a freight train, having your thoughts written out in front of you will guide you through it.

I am not adequate to provide professional legal advice but I have used step by step the above approach (never with a DUI though) when I made some bad choices and I now qualify for the good driver bonus on my insurance.

After you have that done you are slightly more hireable but still 2 speeding tickets in a 1 year period will be no cake walk. The best advice is to slow down, wake up earlier whatever you gotta do to quit getting speeding tickets. My company won't hire you if you have more than 3 tickets in the last 5 years or more than 1 in the past 12 months.

Thats a good idea considering i have my final court date comming up in April. I'm not too optimistic about it, but pessimism never got me anywhere.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
That borderlines in ridiculous!! Did you accidently run over the cop's dog or something??

Sheesh!

Actually, in some states, if you're drunk and in a vehicle that can be turned on by using a key, then it can be considered a DUI. The key doesn't even need to be in your possession.

My advice is try, and be blunt with those you interview for. Hell, even try to work inside the other sections of it and work your way into their good graces, like in supply.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
It really depends on your state's laws. PA requires 2 years of reasonably clean driving record AFTER you get your license back after a DUI before you can drive an ambulance. This means it could be 3 or 4 years post-DUI. That is reason #1 I don't fool around with drinking and driving - I'd have a hard time finding a job for YEARS.

That said - YMMV.

kymtgpro

Forum Probie
Slightly off course, but lets say the dui is exponged, does one still need to mention it on an application.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Military medic experience doesn't always translate well into the private sector. It's heavy on trauma (for obvious reasons) and often allows treatments and practices not allowed in the private sector (The military isn't worried about its patients suing them).

I've known some who have made the transition. Some have done quite well through the military career path. I have one friend who is currently a P.A and another working as a perfussionist. Both began their careers as military medics. But, their success has more to do with their after military education than their initial military training.

About the DUI and expunged records. You have to make sure that the record is not going to be available to the employer. Different states treat the records differently. In some, you may not show a conviction but you still show the arrest. It's much better to fess up to something that might show up that doesn't than to leave something off that your employer finds. The second shows that you were not only irresponsible over the DUI but you were secretive and dishonest about it. Full disclosure is better.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Military medic experience doesn't always translate well into the private sector. It's heavy on trauma (for obvious reasons)...
Don't judge the Air Force and Navy by Army standards. None of the above applies to medics from the Air Force and Navy, whose training leans very heavily towards clinical medicine. And, unless you are deployed to a combat zone and assigned to a grunt team, your actual practice will also lean heavily towards the clinical. Outside of the war zone, there is no more trauma going on in the military than there is on the streets of any small town, usually less, in fact. So let's not be too quick to stereotype military medics.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Don't judge the Air Force and Navy by Army standards. None of the above applies to medics from the Air Force and Navy, whose training leans very heavily towards clinical medicine. And, unless you are deployed to a combat zone and assigned to a grunt team, your actual practice will also lean heavily towards the clinical. Outside of the war zone, there is no more trauma going on in the military than there is on the streets of any small town, usually less, in fact. So let's not be too quick to stereotype military medics.

Except for Corpsman that go with the Marines, which is still a sizable portion.

EMS in the military is like EMS in the civilian sector--- you have some leeway in choosing the type of medicine you want to do. If you want to work in a hospital as a medic in the military, chances are you will. If you want to be field, chances are you will. But of course, it's up to the branch.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief

The two medics I know of who sucessfully made the transition were army medics. The several I know who didn't were coasties and navy.

Anu

Forum Crew Member
This has been an extremely illuminating discourse. I now know for sure to never mess around on the road.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Except for Corpsman that go with the Marines, which is still a sizable portion.
No. They all receive the same training. And even in a combat zone, FMF corpsmen still practice 90 percent clinical medicine and not trauma.