ALS quals are screwing with my brain...

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
Just wondering, for all you ALS/medics out there: When you were first getting out there in the ALS realm, and you were doing ALL the procedures during a case when riding with your proctor or working in an ER, did it ever start mess up your perceptions of the rest of the off-duty world?

Today was my first day off after a grueling six day stretch of working holiday festivals and events, working regular shifts, and generally being a volunteer workhorse. Took my family out for pizza with a family friend, and I kept catching myself looking at people's arms, looking for a good IV site. The waitress had especially good veins I could park a drain pipe in, but that's besides the point.

Later, I saw a guy rubbing his chest after a particularly spicy slice of pizza, noticed he was diaphoretic and pale, and started running through my head all the things I was going to have to rule out before I would be able to treat.

I think the worst was the other morning, though. I actually got home for a couple of hours around 06:00, and fell asleep promptly so I could be at the city park around 12:00 in order to help run the med station for the estimated 50k-80k people they planned on being there (it was actually along the lines of 82k when all was said and done). My wife came in to wake me up an hour and a half before to let me get showered and see the kids before I went out, and she said I was talking in my sleep.

She's a nurse, so she perfectly understood what I was yammering about: I was running a diabetic call in my sleep, setting up a D50 and asking what his glucometry was reading.

Is this to be expected, or am I cracking up early in my career?

Last edited by a moderator:

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Nope....that's completely normal although with time you start looking at the guy rubbing his chest and trying to figure out how you can get out of there before one of your friends goes "He doesn't look so good".

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I catch my self poking peoples veins or just staring at their wrist/elbows for a length of time.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I catch my self poking peoples veins or just staring at their wrist/elbows for a length of time.
I have done that before too (well not the poking people part). I actually used "Nice veins" as a pickup line once when I was still working in EMS.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Did it work? :blush:

(PS I only poke people I know... not strangers)
Yeah, it did actually. I think it was just a nice surprise to her that I didn't compliment her more commonly noticed assets. She looked at me and goes "Either you're a heroin addict or paramedic. Which is it?" Turned out she was a nurse.

Of course then again, I met my girlfriend that I had for two years in high school by breaking her nose so perhaps I'm just good at turning situations to my advantage.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Running it in your sleep! Amazing!

medic3416

Forum Probie
Don’t worry yet. You have spent a lot of time learning to be a medic. Part of the reason the we are trained so intensely in such a short time is that we are taught to do our job quickly, without having to think about it too much; even in our sleep! Also, remember that what we do for a living and what we see is not “normal” and it will change you in some way. Over time you will learn to adjust and integrate both normal life and your abnormal work environment. I’m sure you’ve been told a thousand times already but if you find that you can’t sleep, get irritated easily, loose or gain an excessive amount of weight or start bad habits (EtOH or worse) then it’s time to get some help and back off a little.
Hang in there you are experiencing a very normal thing in a very abnormal job!
:wacko:

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Pretty normal.
As I start to get better at something, I start noticing opportunities for challenges in people. Even as an EMT, when I shook people's hands, I thought about sneaking in a pulse check. Then, as you get used to it, I think it fades for the most part. Some observational stuff will probably always stick around, but you'll dismiss it faster.