ALS or BLS?

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
Im probably the worst paramedic at EMSA to work with. You know, with the letting my partners be EMTs and all. Maybe I should just go drinking with them instead.

You could do both ^_^

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
around here we have a tiered system. BLS response with a paramedic intercept. Except where the primary response area is the ALS squads then an ALS unit automatically responds to everything.

when I first started in EMS quite some time ago. ALS units weren't of the abundance and sprouting up everywhere as we have now. You had to get your assessment and manage your patient until you were able to intercept an ALS unit. So your skills had to be solid and your abilities to manage a patient were a must. Nowadays you can't even get to the scene without an ALS buggy being right behind you. Depending on the ALS provider some may just kick you out of the way and make your a clipboard EMT and others will allow you to complete your assessment and then initiate theirs

The other part is the education, EMT school has become Scene Safe, BSI, Apply Hi Flow 02 and call ALS. EMT school has pushed the basic away from patient interventions and management and pretty much made EMT's into stretcher fetchers. Its up to the EMT to hope to get into a good situation where they can build on their skills, Others are just like well its not my responsibility just hop on board and allow the medic to do their tricks. ALS Assist skills should be part of the EMT synopsis and while I feel that NIBP on the monitor is great for when you cant hear or when your hands are tied. A solid old school manual set of vital signs are ten times more reliable. BLS trucks are now carrying the auto cuffs and I couldn't tell you the last time I seen these crews use a Manual cuff. while its convenient to have a auto cuff. those hard earned skills will fade away as you rely on technology to handle your patients.