ALS Billing vs BLS billing question

ALSBLS

Forum Ride Along
Opinions please:

I was the patient for a short trip to the local ER. The ambulance company tried to bill Medicare but was denied because I do not have Medicare yet. The company then tried to bill Anthem Blue Cross for A0427, but was denied. The care level during the trip was basic vitals and sign here. No specialized care or supplies were used.

HCPCS A0427 – Ambulance service, ALS1, emergency transport, specialized ALS services, all inclusive

The ER mandated rate was billed at around $2,000 for A0427.
My question is wouldn't A0429 BLS or some other coding be a better billing choice?

HCPCS A0429 – Ambulance service, BLS, emergency transport, all inclusive
Maybe it was a keyboarding error. Trying to get an insurance company to reconsider a different coding is hard enough. I'm not sure but it appears as though Blue Cross looked at the ALS for A0427 and decided the billing code wasn't right and stamped <DENIED> on the claim. Was the A0427 a possible goof?

Thank you

OP
OP
A

ALSBLS

Forum Ride Along
Vitals

Blood Pressure, pulse rate, probably respiratory rate, and temperature. Pardon me for saying, but it was the usual basic admitting nurse triage routine without a history.

Thanks for your additional question.

OP
OP
A

ALSBLS

Forum Ride Along
It looks like a coding error

A0427 keyed instead of A0428 A0428 more closely matches the trip record.

Thanks for your consideration. BTW, I live in Ventura County and the incident was in Santa Barbara County.