Allergic reaction meds

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
(Oh G*D, I said the Epipen word! :eek: )

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
So this just appeared on my Facebook news feed, thought it seemed appropriate to bump this thread:
FB_IMG_1472268082741.jpg

Besides any problems of SQ vs IM administration, I don't trust an untrained lay rescuer trying to draw up the correct dosage from a vial and give it correctly in an emergency setting.....what are your guys and gals thoughts?

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
I don't really trust EMTs to be able to draw up epi from a vial. Though it's not really hard to do, it is easy to bend the needle or forget the basics when in an emergency, especially when you otherwise NEVER draw up medications from a vial.

I know of emergency departments that use epi-pens instead of drawing it up. Partly because they can teach the patient or family on the spot, but also because it is easier to use and quicker.

What the pharm companies are doing is, in my opinion, at best unethical, and at worse criminal.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Washington state has taught EMTs how to draw up epi from a vial for close to a decade.

My sister has severe reactions to bee stings, she has carried epi in a vial with the syringe since she was a teenager. It comes in an orange plastic box, similar to the way glucagon is carried. She's used it twice, and never had any issues.

aquabear

World's Okayest Paramedic
So this just appeared on my Facebook news feed, thought it seemed appropriate to bump this thread:View attachment 2968
Besides any problems of SQ vs IM administration, I don't trust an untrained lay rescuer trying to draw up the correct dosage from a vial and give it correctly in an emergency setting.....what are your guys and gals thoughts?
I would barely trust a squad-ie to draw up the correct dose.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
The EpiPen is not the only autoinjector...Adrenaclick is less than half the price, at ~$140 per (at WalMart).

Regardless, it seems a tad loony to not try the IM needle method. Anybody can do it, and it's darn inexpensive.