Alberta happenings

04_edge

Forum Crew Member
I wonder how much this will impact being able to diagnose an MI though? I didnt think CKMB levels started coming up till 4-6 hours after the damage occured, assuming thats what the blood test is looking for?

Seems to me it would be better diagnosed with looking at the pt's current S/S, history of incident and doing a 12 lead. Although i could see it being helpful in cases were the only symptoms were things like SoB or N/V and it were used to rule out the possibility of an MI...

Having said that, we do carry Heparin where i work now.

Last edited by a moderator:

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Might be POC troponin. Several services in Washington were testing for troponin in the field as part of a study. Also, there is now a disposable troponin test kit available.

Sent from my iPhone.

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
CK-MB rises about 3 hours after onset. Trops are the 4 - 6 hour mark. The tests we use check for cTnI and Myoglobin, Myo rises within 2 - 4 hours of onset.

Being able to test for the 2 enzymes helps us to determine an actual timeline as well. As with any cardiac blood test, serial testing is required to determine any changes.

We've been using the disposable troponin/myoglobin tests for about 3 years now with great results, they can be stored at room temperature and have a great shelf life.

Last edited by a moderator:

systemet

Forum Asst. Chief
I wonder how much this will impact being able to diagnose an MI though? I didnt think CKMB levels started coming up till 4-6 hours after the damage occured, assuming thats what the blood test is looking for?

Yeah. That's system has being thrombolysing patients in the field for 10 years now. So telemetry and 'lytics are nothing new.

There's some staggering issues with offload delays in the various ERs. So it may be that POC testing is going to allow them to identify higher risk patients.