Alberta Class 4 License

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
Hi all,

I'm considering making a career change, and am about 90% sure I want become an EMT-P. I've done a ton of research, and am at the point where I'm starting to register for my EMR training, do upgrading (took Chem/Physics instead of Bio in HS, haha), and the like.

The ONLY part of that process I'm having difficulty finding info on is the class 4 license testing. The Alberta government website is not much help, and neither is the 'Professional Driver Guide' I picked up from AMA.

Some questions for those who have it:
  • What is the road test like? Basically just a standard road test, the same they give for class 5? Anything special?
  • Is parallel parking tested? (I need to brush up my skills if so!)
  • Do you need to know the knowledge for other class 4 vehicles like taxis and busses? (Not that there's a ton of differences.)

Thanks for your help!

hippocratical

Forum Lieutenant
am about 90% sure I want become an EMT-P.

Well that will take literally days till you reach that! :p
Ha, just making fun, I'm on that train too.

Before people weigh in with specifics, be aware that you don't have to get your class 4 first. I personally got my EMR first, as working on an ambulance (thus needing a class 4) rather than an MTC is practically impossible work to find as an EMR in Alberta. Only EMTs (realistically) get to drive a real ambulance thus need the cert.

By all means get it, but you don't have to until you're EMT certified which is a good few months of training, exams, and fun times away.

OP
OP
C

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
Well that will take literally days till you reach that! :p
Ha, just making fun, I'm on that train too.

Before people weigh in with specifics, be aware that you don't have to get your class 4 first. I personally got my EMR first, as working on an ambulance (thus needing a class 4) rather than an MTC is practically impossible work to find as an EMR in Alberta. Only EMTs (realistically) get to drive a real ambulance thus need the cert.

By all means get it, but you don't have to until you're EMT certified which is a good few months of training, exams, and fun times away.

Yeah, I figured as much. I don't plan on working as an EMR, I'd rather just go straight through to EMT, and continue working at my current job until I start the EMT program. That said, there will be a few months of downtime between finishing one and starting the other, during which I would probably get the class 4. I'm also thinking of volunteer work during that time to strengthen my post EMT program resume, and groups like St. John's require a class 4 to drive their rigs.

ABEMS

Forum Crew Member
Specifics:

To obtain a clas 4 license, you must first possess a class 5 non GDL, meaning you have to take the class 5 advanced road test. After that you have to write the class 4 knowledge test, and when you pass that you are able to book the road test. The road test is basically like the class 5 but longer(approx 1 hour) and you have 50 points or less taken off instead of the 75. Anything on the marking sheet can be tested so be prepared.

* knowing how to parallel park is always important and is usually tested*

You dont have to know anything about taxis or buses. Having a class 4 means that you can operate a vehicle for hire, and that you should have the skill/knowledge to operate it in a safe manner.

Hope That answer all your questions.

systemet

Forum Asst. Chief
You dont have to know anything about taxis or buses.

Once upon a time, you did have to know a lot about school buses for the knowledge test, which used to be guaranteed to include questions about things like:

* Are you obliged to stop at an uncontrolled crossing?
* Can an ambulance, police truck or fire truck pass a school bus with its lights on?
* How large a bus, or how many occupants can it have for you to drive on a class 4 versus a class 2.