Alaska.....

Porta

Forum Lieutenant
So, hubs (who's military) recently brought up the possibility of us PCSing t Alaska (we're currently in Ga). Does anyone know what the job market is up there? Google is telling me I can expect to see a lot of nothing...
I'm currently an Advanced, and hoping to move onto Medic before we leave.

troymclure

Forum Lieutenant
you can prolly get a job on camp/base working at the hospital. they generally have lots of civvies working with the military medics/techs.

OP
OP
Porta

Porta

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah? Here's hoping. Thanks for the reply :)

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I would actually like to see this thread gain something meaningful, as I may be in the same boat. I would especially like to hear about LifeMed.

OP
OP
Porta

Porta

Forum Lieutenant
I'm assuming I'd have to go far beyond just Paramedic to work with them, right?

I'm on their site right now, I don't see a whole lot of info as far as what they're looking for in employees...flight nurse/medic... I'd assume something along those lines?

Last edited by a moderator:

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
In the third paragraph here, it says that they staff flight crews with one nurse and one medic. I would imagine they want their medics experienced an on their game, though- not "just" a paramedic.

OP
OP
Porta

Porta

Forum Lieutenant
In the third paragraph here, it says that they staff flight crews with one nurse and one medic. I would imagine they want their medics experienced an on their game, though- not "just" a paramedic.

Ok, I'm still kinda poking around the site, thanks for sharing that. I don't think I would be very qualified for something like this as a new Medic (assuming I get it prior to leaving), but this is very useful information. It was suggested that I should look into wilderness training too, what are your thoughts on that? Not for me, per say, but for working in someplace such as Alaska. It would seem beneficial, depending on who hired you.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I doubt they would look down on it, but they don't really seem like a S&R company. I could be wrong, but it sounds like they just do scene calls and hospital transfers. Any piece of training you can get your hands on can only be beneficial though. At the very least, it shows you're motivated to learn and advance yourself :)

Edit: I just realized you weren't necessarily talking about wilderness for LifeMed. As far as working in Alaska in general, I think that would be a wonderful certification to get. Just like I said above, it can't hurt, and will likely be helpful at some point- especially with how rural much of AK is.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I can give you a lot of information.

However you did not say WHERE you might possibly go. I can guess but then that guess would also be based on which branch he is...Coast guard, Army, Air Force...

Alaska is a big place so a little more detail would be great.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
There's a chance I'll end up in Anchorage, at Elmendorf AFB. There's a strong likelihood that my wife will commission into the AF as a nurse, and Elmendorf is the place she most wants to be stationed.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
In Anchorage you either work as a Fire Medic for the city or you do inter-facility.
The base occasionally has positions for paramedics but these are few and far between as people do not leave these until they retire or transfer out (if married to active duty).

Life Med and Aerocare are two of the larger flight programs. guardian Flight has also pushed into Anchorage now as well. The neat thing about these positions is if you get one, you can be rotated to some far flung places. These positions are very rare and competition is fierce but do not let that stop you.

To work in Alaska and get reciprocity as a MICP...you need to have National Registry. You also need to have a job before hand typically as a Medical Director has to sponsor you.

MICPs are licensed in Alaska and EMT I, II and III are certified.

There are very few paid services in AK, most are volunteer. It is a small community (EMS wise) and it does not take long before you know the players across the state. This could be good or bad...all depends on you. :)

I did flight in Alaska for two years...saw and did things I will never do again in the Lower 48. It was challenging and a life changing experience. I also volunteered on the side because in the two communities I lived in, one had only had 2-3 medics ever and the other never had a medic...so it was breaking new ground.

EMT IIIs are the pseudo medics...they can do IVs, intubate and push ACLS meds amongst a few other things. MICPs little more difficult to come by because during the time I was there and before, students had to go to Lower 48 just to do clinicals...wasn't enough experience in their home state/city to be signed off!!

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Thanks for that, ak! I'll try to post tomorrow with some more questions, but right now I can barely stay awake...

OP
OP
Porta

Porta

Forum Lieutenant
Ak, thanks for the info, it really took a load off my mind. As an MIL (Army) spouse, how difficult would it be to work on base as a Medic? Here in Ga they contract out, so it's not that easy.
Also, you mentioned you have to have a job before hand to be sponsored, is it your experience that most employers are more open to hiring and doing interviews via phone/Skype?

OP
OP
Porta

Porta

Forum Lieutenant
I doubt they would look down on it, but they don't really seem like a S&R company. I could be wrong, but it sounds like they just do scene calls and hospital transfers. Any piece of training you can get your hands on can only be beneficial though. At the very least, it shows you're motivated to learn and advance yourself :)

Edit: I just realized you weren't necessarily talking about wilderness for LifeMed. As far as working in Alaska in general, I think that would be a wonderful certification to get. Just like I said above, it can't hurt, and will likely be helpful at some point- especially with how rural much of AK is.

It's funny, a wilderness cert looks like it would be fun as hell to get, but my very applicable in a metro setting. I'd LOVE to do the training, but even if I do end up in Alaska, I highly doubt I'd use the skills or training very often, you know?
Thanks for taking the time to respond, and good luck if you end up there, hopefully I will too :)

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Ak, thanks for the info, it really took a load off my mind. As an MIL (Army) spouse, how difficult would it be to work on base as a Medic? Here in Ga they contract out, so it's not that easy.
Also, you mentioned you have to have a job before hand to be sponsored, is it your experience that most employers are more open to hiring and doing interviews via phone/Skype?

Yes, Alaska employers are very familiar with and use that option quite often. It is not like you can just drive by and check things out. Before I was hired, I did two phone interviews, then they flew me there for an in person interview. Then they made the offer. I also got them to pay for my move and a sign on bonus.

The base is difficult cause it is contracted out.

OP
OP
Porta

Porta

Forum Lieutenant
Thank you for your response. I figured getting a job on base would be as challenging as it is down here, but it never hurts to ask. Again, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

BedpanCommando

Forum Probie
Along with everything said above there is also the option to get on with one of the companys that provide remote medics. Look up Beacon OHSS and Fairweather. The time away from home sucks but the time off is great.

OP
OP
Porta

Porta

Forum Lieutenant
Along with everything said above there is also the option to get on with one of the companys that provide remote medics. Look up Beacon OHSS and Fairweather. The time away from home sucks but the time off is great.

Will do, thank you for the tip!