akward question

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
Ok, I have decided that I am going to persue a nursing degree after I am a medic. Keep in mind I am only a basic who has still not found a job to utilize my certification. Nevertheless, I have know for sometime that a nursing degree would be in the future. I do have one question that maybe some of you can answer:
What are the pros and cons of getting either an associates, or a bachelors degree in nursing?
Both can be registered RNs
Is it possible to just get the associates first... become an RN, and then go back to get your bachelors without wasting too much time?

I think I have also decided that an associated degree in paramedicine is much more in my interest than just gettin a cert. The only thing is there is such a big time difference. I dont know how I can go to school and work for the next million yrs of my life, which seems to be the path I am beginning (paramedic, nursing... alot of schooling) Heck I should have just went to med school (my original plan) but I have many reasons against that... ask if you want to know.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
As I said in my other post...

Getting a BSN is getting to be essential for advancement as a nurse - into management or specialty field (PHRN, Critical Care, CRNA)

Many colleges offer RN to BSN programs for ASN or diploma nurses to continue on in their eduaction.

Also, most hospitals are desprate for nursing staff that they offer huge benifit packages, including tuition reimbursment.

Jon

Strike3

Forum Crew Member
If that's the case, you're wasting your time getting your medic first. Get your RN, and challenge the medic test. Way faster, and more effective as far as advancing your career.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by Strike3@Jul 24 2005, 05:01 PM
If that's the case, you're wasting your time getting your medic first. Get your RN, and challenge the medic test. Way faster, and more effective as far as advancing your career.
That is really the best way to do it, as long as the state they are testing in allows that. Here in Florida they do allow RN's to challenge the Paramedic test.

That is my plan for right now.

As far as the AA vs the BSN....if you get the AA at least you can get working as a nurse and then continue on to obtain your BSN..

OP
OP
emtbass

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
well since I live in texas.. that sucks... Hey flight_lp... what kind of certs/degrees do you have? What do the nurses usually have that you work with. I am taking for granted that by your name, you are a flight medic....

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by emtbass@Jul 24 2005, 06:54 PM
well since I live in texas.. that sucks... Hey flight_lp... what kind of certs/degrees do you have? What do the nurses usually have that you work with. I am taking for granted that by your name, you are a flight medic....
Most flight nurses are either RN's, NP's or PHRN's.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Princess, I found out the college I'm going through lets you get your BSN online after you become an RN, they might be doing that for you up there too.

Firechic

Forum Lieutenant
RN's cannot challenge any level of testing in Texas..........................

The RNs I know went through an abbreviated bridge course.

OP
OP
emtbass

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by Firechic@Jul 24 2005, 11:35 PM

what is that? sounds interesting

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Firechic@Jul 25 2005, 12:35 AM

In PA, a RN can take a "PHRN" course which is a very condensed paramedic course.... they get a PHRN / Health Professional cert... not a paramedic.....

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by emtbass@Jul 24 2005, 06:54 PM
Texas Licensed Paramedic, CCEMT-P, ACLS / PALS Instructor, BTLS Instructor, NTSA-AMC certified, A.A.S. in Security Administration, A.A.S. in Paramedicine, A.A.S. in Allied Health Sciences. Paramedic since 1997, in EMS since 1992.

Most of the nurses I work with (or rather worked with as I am currently not flying rotor wing) have their RN with 3+ years of ER or ICU experience. Some have or get their BSN, but in most places its not required................

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by emtbass+Jul 24 2005, 11:42 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (emtbass @ Jul 24 2005, 11:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Firechic@Jul 24 2005, 11:35 PM

what is that? sounds interesting [/b][/quote]
The bridge or fast track courses are of little benefit for your timeline. Again, before you can do a Paramedic to RN abbreviated course, you must first have all of your prerequisites out of the way. If you want your RN in the shortest amount of time, this is not the route to go. In addition, several schools that I know of who offer these types of courses require time as a medic before your application is even reviewed for admission..........

medic03

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by Flight-LP@Jul 24 2005, 05:26 PM
RN's cannot challenge any level of testing in Texas......................................
same thing in NY, gotta take the class

Firechic

Forum Lieutenant
QUOTE (Firechic @ Jul 24 2005, 11:35 PM)

what is that? sounds interesting

I was referring to the RN to Paramedic bridge course. The people I know who attended this course were already RNs. They had an abbreviated classroom time, but still had to fulfill the MICU rideouts.
I know in my area of Texas, Paramedic to RN bridge programs do not exist at the moment.

RALS504

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by Flight-LP@Jul 24 2005, 05:26 PM
RN's cannot challenge any level of testing in Texas......................................
My intermediate class instructor was an EMT-I, then he got his RN. He then went to El Paso, Tx and challenged the NREMT-P test. He has been a EMT-P and a RN for about five years now. I just saw on a web site a few days ago that a PA or a RN could challenge the NREMT-P test in Texas it sounded like current material.

OP
OP
emtbass

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
Well too late now.. I am already in the Medic Program. But If I could challege the RN.. that would be awesome... Maybe I can at least CLEP out of some of the classes.

Thanks for the info.