AHA CPR Instructor certification?

rook901

Forum Crew Member
Hello all,

I'm interested in becoming certified as a BLS instructor through AHA, but the process seems somewhat confusing to me. I looked over the requirements on the AHA website, and according to them it's as "easy as 1-2-3", but I disagree.

Apparently, I first have to take the Core Instructor Course. AHA says that this can be taken online, but I can't seem to find the referenced "Professional Education Center" website to take the course.

Next, I'm supposed to complete a "discipline-specific instructor course", but there is no indication of where or how to take the course.

And finally, I'm supposed to "get monitored by an AHA training center", which I assume can be done after step 2.

A little more direction would be helpful. Also, anyone have any idea how much it costs to become a certified instructor?

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
ive never heard of the core instructor course, but i may know it by another name.

i dont knwo a thing about the online course as i took mine in person.

how i did it:
took the bls instructor course at a training center.
taught two courses with an established instructor. one in a support role and one in the primary instructors role, with the other instructor supporting and evaluating me.
received my card from my affiliate training center

total cost: 250 plus my time

to the best of my knowledge, you must be affiliated with a training center to receive cards.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
To teach anything for AHA one is supposed to have successfully completed their Core Instructor Course. This can be accomplished by an open book, on line. You will register with AHA at this time. Then you need to have completed the desired course (i.e. BLS Health Care Provider) prior and then attend and pass an Instructor Course on that level or course (i.e. BLS Healthcare Provider Instructor). One then signs or attaches themselves to a Training Center to be able to purchase items, have course rosters maintained, etc. as well as have a faculty or designated Instructor Trainer monitor you on your first attempt of teaching to ensure you are following standards and doing okay. Upon their recommendation and the local region if you are granted full privileges or not.

Many times one attends an Instructor Course that also will teach a course following the instructor course, so one can immediately get experience.

R/r911