ChargerGirl

Forum Crew Member
My friend was thinking of taking an emt class and maybe seeing what his options would be if he got into the medical field. Im really proud of him if he does. He is 37 though and is in great physical shape etc and intelligent. Im just worried he might feel like he is old compared to all the young people in the field. I mean he looks like he is in his 20s etc Im just worried if he wanted to further his career as a paramedic eventually would employers not hire him because he is older? Do you think he could face some ageistic people or employers in the field?

thatJeffguy

Forum Lieutenant
Is he "old" or "experienced"? I'm 29, older than a lot of other EMT-b students, but I've military service and years of travel and interesting stuff under my belt.

RDUNNE

Forum Crew Member
theres 3 people in my class older then 50, two older then 40 and i think ones 38. if age is an issues, id say my class is in some trouble.

FF-EMT Diver

Forum Captain
I don't think it would affect him at all.... the field is pretty much wide open for new faces and he has probly 20-25 yrs left if he is in good physical shape.

Theo

Forum Crew Member
If he was thinking of going into Fire Sevices, then his age would likely be an issue, but not in the Paramedic field. I did alot of research on age restrictions/issues before I went back to school, at age 35, to finish my degree in Emergency Medical Services. If anything, his age could be a plus, since he has the real life experience, that may better prepare him for the world of EMS, that an 18-20 year old kid fresh out of high school just doesn't have.

There are plenty of stories around here about people becoming EMT's, Paramedics, and RN's into their 50's. They should serve as inspiration to everyone out there to never stop learning and not to let age stand in your way.

I wish your friend the best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Griff

Forum Crew Member
We have someone in his late forties in our class.

Same here. A couple of people in my medic class are mid forties, and about a quarter of the class is older than 30. Of those >40 y/o, one works for the IRS and one is a career (well, until now ^_^) real estate agent. A stagnant economy/down housing market respectively influenced the career switch, and they are both doing very well in the course.

Simusid

Forum Captain
Good to hear some of those ages! I'm 47 and seriously considering medic next year. I'd already psyched myself out that I was too old :)