Age Limitations

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I am 20, been an EMT for 4 years, and in the fire service for 6 (officially). I have no problem with those older than me, or younger than me... jsut those who think they know more than me ;) .... the 6/22's can really tick me off... but I remember that I was like that once.... an EMT for 6 months, and acting like I'd been in the fire service for 22 years....

Jon

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
I've been in ems for as long as you've been on this rock Jon, but notice if you will i pose myself as 'student'

that's because we always have and will be in this trade

~S~

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
We dont have to pass any physical agility tests or anything here to get hired, all you have to do is have a pulse, a card, a DL, and pass a drug test...though we are in the process of having an assessment center for all potential employees which will test their ability to treat a "pt" in front of several interviewers (command and field staff). But as far as regular exercise goes we are not required to do anything, though alot of the people do work out in various ways in their own time...

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Stevo said:
I've been in ems for as long as you've been on this rock Jon, but notice if you will i pose myself as 'student'

that's because we always have and will be in this trade

~S~

As you can see I am with you on this!!

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
that's a humble 10-4 Colorado :)

But as far as regular exercise goes we are not required to do anything,
i ran to my car once , but that was because it was raining hard....

~S~

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Stevo said:

~S~

OMG.....ROFL :lol: :lol: :lol:

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Stevo said:

~S~

I guess that brings around the question....

If its pouring down rain, do you really get LESS wet by running to your car than you do if you walk.

It seems to me it doesn't matter. Wet is Wet, no matter how quickly you get that way.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
The Mythbusters tested this twice:

The first time (with artificial rain) walking kept you drier. The second time (with real rain) running kept you drier.

ptemt

Forum Crew Member
Go for it Radar! I have four years on you and am just getting started. Filled a cup and took an agility test yesterday and am looking forward to starting to learn next week.

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
ffemt8978 said:
The Mythbusters tested this twice:

The first time (with artificial rain) walking kept you drier. The second time (with real rain) running kept you drier.

YOU are a plethera of useless information!!! :p B)

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
coloradoemt said:
YOU are a plethera of useless information!!! :p B)

True, but I bow to the master, Ttlwhkr. :p

i_drive_code3

Forum Crew Member
i think that a lot of emts are too young -- cannot deal with the adrenaline rushes and they get spun so...
i got into ems in my 30's and it was the perfect time for me - old enough to deal with the stress, be well grounded in my life & confidence but not so "old" that i can't physically do the job.

though i admit the younger ones do appear my "spry" on those 0300 calls! arrghhhh

take it easy,
kate

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
it's generally accepted as a youthful occupation Code3...

~S~

ksEMTbabe

Forum Crew Member
Go for it Radar, I work with lots of EMT's and medics your age and some considerably older. The vast majority of them are great at what they do...age is just a number!

Celtictigeress

Forum Captain
SOME of us like moi and a few others ARE young

Some of us are more mature and can handle the stress I went from Law enforcement into it so age has nothing to do with it... 30s might be great for some... 50s for others, and people like me in their early 20s heck you might find an 18year old that takes to the job... it isnt the age its the person...its like being a cop I dont half expect half of you to be able to go through it.

Like Military some are cut out for it others arent.... the youth have their spry ways the older ones have their wisdom

As long as I dont get stuck working with someone that is 90 years old I will be PERFECTLY fine lolololol