Aemt

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Well that's scary...

Here in California, the AEMT policies are just starting to come down to tube from the state. Prior to that Intermediates were a rare bird in the state and not utilized in most counties. I believe now the use of the AEMT may still be up to the county EMS agency, but the state has made it plain that the scope is to be limited to what I posted above, which is in-line with the National scope.

In NYC, only EMT and paramedic are recognized. AEMTs are only considered EMTs here.

Where I volunteer, AEMTs are abundant the reason being is people don't usually enroll in paramedic programs for the sake of volunteer work. AEMT class is only around $2000 and it is 6 months, 2 days a week. They do no clinical hours in a hospital. They do a couple rides on an ALS bus that runs BLS/ALS calls. It is MUCH more appealing to people than a paramedic course for $10,000 and 3x the effort and hours topped with much more waiting for the end.

So really AEMT exists here because it a shortcut. There's nothing else to call it. It is literally just a shortcut to get some more toys without the knowledge backing to play with them safely.

As I said, every medication I can give or skill I can perform an AEMT can do the same but they need to ask dad for permission first.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Porta

Porta

Forum Lieutenant
Where I volunteer, AEMTs are abundant the reason being is people don't usually enroll in paramedic programs for the sake of volunteer work. AEMT class is only around $2000 and it is 6 months, 2 days a week. They do no clinical hours in a hospital. They do a couple rides on an ALS bus that runs BLS/ALS calls. It is MUCH more appealing to people than a paramedic course for $10,000 and 3x the effort and hours topped with much more waiting for the end.

Actually, (if I may interject) the reason I went through the step program is b/c I did NOT want to go into a Medic program and bomb out and waste the money. I do want to be a Paramedic, however, I didn't want to waste anyone's time, or money. Some call it being a major wuss (I'm cool a being called a wuss) others may call it being cautious. I don't want to get into a situation where I would be a danger to someone.

So, in short, this isn't the path of least resistance for me, it felt like a logical move.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
It depends how the AEMT is used.

I/As supplement medics here. Every truck is medic/intermediate or advanced. From someone who's worked on both sides it's nice to be able to help your partner with lines, airway and meds and it's nice to have someone there who can help you.

Forum Crew Member
I know that there are a few schools in California that are developing an AEMT program but none that are offering the course as of yet.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
EMSTA in San Diego is offering AEMT for some agencies.
http://emstacollege.com/index.php?template=sub&file=aemt

The scope is nowhere near what NY is.

From EMSTA website:

Upon completion of the entire course, a certificate of completion is issued.
This certificate allows students to apply for the National Registry Advanced EMT examination and upon successful completion, will receive recognition as an AEMT through San Diego County EMS and the State of California. Once certified, they will be allowed to perform the following skills (per B-451):

ETAD/Pharyngeal Airways
Administer Intravenous (IV) lines
Blood Glucose Monitoring
Administer the following medications:
Nitroglycerine , Aspirin
Glucagon, Dextrose
Albuterol, Naloxone
Epinephrine, Activated Charcoal

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
I believe they're the first program to graduate AEMTs in the the state. Too bad its EMSTA as they're a tad expensive, though not as bad as NCTI.

OP
OP
Porta

Porta

Forum Lieutenant
Anyone know how many schools have graduated AEMTs in GA? I know of 3, I think.
ProMedics
Chattahoochee Valley
and I *think* Fortis?

Forum Crew Member
Well either way being in norcal the program is a little inaccessible...plus my local ems authority doesn't even recognize aemt's yetand it doesn't look like that's gonna happen any time soon. My county is just more than a little behind the times. :wacko:

GaMedic

Forum Crew Member
ProMedics
Chattahoochee Valley
and I *think* Fortis?

Fortis does in fact offer AEMT

I think Faithful Guardian may as well... Not sure though..

Northwestern Tech (Coosa Valley Tech) offers it as well... I think

OP
OP
Porta

Porta

Forum Lieutenant
Fortis does in fact offer AEMT

I think Faithful Guardian may as well... Not sure though..

Northwestern Tech (Coosa Valley Tech) offers it as well... I think

Coosa, right. I'm seeing more and more people taking the course. I wonder if it's going to start making the Basic obsolete.

GaMedic

Forum Crew Member
Coosa, right. I'm seeing more and more people taking the course. I wonder if it's going to start making the Basic obsolete.

Well if you did the scope of practice update.. When they first mentioned the advanced level they said they were not going to force anyone to upgrade.. But in the scope of practice update it clearly says that in the year (I think) 2016 or somewhere around there. They would NOT be issuing anymore Ga Intermediate licences. IF you wanted to keep working as an EMT you would have to do the upgrade in education.

Kinda funny that sounds like forcing people to me :eek:

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Well if you did the scope of practice update.. When they first mentioned the advanced level they said they were not going to force anyone to upgrade.. But in the scope of practice update it clearly says that in the year (I think) 2016 or somewhere around there. They would NOT be issuing anymore Ga Intermediate licences. IF you wanted to keep working as an EMT you would have to do the upgrade in education.

Kinda funny that sounds like forcing people to me :eek:

You may be able to stay as an intermediate if you already are one. I know some states no longer issue new licenses for certain levels but you can maintain it.

GaMedic

Forum Crew Member
What I thought as well, but after the cut off date when your licenses expire unless my understanding of the video is totally jacked up.. Which is possible I was coming off a hell shift where I think I ran 22 calls in 24hrs..... Something of that nature. Is that once the date is here, you are done unless you have updated your education.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
What I thought as well, but after the cut off date when your licenses expire unless my understanding of the video is totally jacked up.. Which is possible I was coming off a hell shift where I think I ran 22 calls in 24hrs..... Something of that nature. Is that once the date is here, you are done unless you have updated your education.

Well the NREMT is going to stop offering 85 and 99 intermediate certs, so if you're dependent on such to work in your state, you don't have a choice. As far as NREMT is concerned, transition or perish.

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
ProMedics
Chattahoochee Valley
and I *think* Fortis?

ProMedics is no longer in business, just adding that in there.

Gwinnett Tech just tested out some Advanced students for NREMT on their practicals.

OP
OP
Porta

Porta

Forum Lieutenant
How many hours a week do you spend in class and what are the Clinical hours requirement?

Class is 2 nights a week, 5-10, and clinical hours are a minimum of 32 hours, but I am of the understanding we MAY have as many as 100 hrs (that's unconfirmed).

Student must:

Assess, formulate and implement a treatment plan for 1 pt with chest pain, 1 pt in respiratory distress, and 1 pt w ams.

Student must demonstrate ability to safely administer meds other than oxygen, but within the GA AEMT scope of practice at least 10 times on live humans.

15 pt assessments on pedi, adult and geri (5 per)

10 successful IVs

Ability to ventilate (unintubated) 1 person of any age group.

source: ga OEMS 2011 EMS Education Standards - AEMT Student Clinical Requirements

(link would not post, nor copy and paste the text, sorry)

My class has additional community service hours at a nursing home and with pediatrics.

OP
OP
Porta

Porta

Forum Lieutenant
ProMedics is no longer in business, just adding that in there.

Gwinnett Tech just tested out some Advanced students for NREMT on their practicals.

I heard about ProMedics, I did not know they were out of biz.

Any idea about the pass rate w Gwinnett Tech?

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Class is 2 nights a week, 5-10, and clinical hours are a minimum of 32 hours, but I am of the understanding we MAY have as many as 100 hrs (that's unconfirmed).

Student must:

Assess, formulate and implement a treatment plan for 1 pt with chest pain, 1 pt in respiratory distress, and 1 pt w ams.

Student must demonstrate ability to safely administer meds other than oxygen, but within the GA AEMT scope of practice at least 10 times on live humans.

15 pt assessments on pedi, adult and geri (5 per)

10 successful IVs

Ability to ventilate (unintubated) 1 person of any age group.

source: ga OEMS 2011 EMS Education Standards - AEMT Student Clinical Requirements

(link would not post, nor copy and paste the text, sorry)

My class has additional community service hours at a nursing home and with pediatrics.

Wow I thought there would be more to it than that